cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when backup Exchange 2007 First and second storage Group

Talenter
Level 3

Hi there,

I have read almost every topics and i haven´t found a solution yeat to my problem.

My version of symantec Veritas Backup is 12 Revision 1364, when i try to backup exchange,as soon the job finish appear this error:

Backup- \\lis1srv01.lusotemp.pt\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ?Mailbox Database and its subdirectories.
Backup- \\lis1srv01.lusotemp.pt\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory ?Public Folder Database and its subdirectories.

I have applied all hotfixes.

The backup method is " Full - Database and Logs (Flush Commited Logs) to a robot Tape ( Spectra T50).

Sorry for the possible errors on my text..

Tks.

20 REPLIES 20

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified
The account that is required for this process must have very specific permissions and attributes to allow this complex process to take place:

1. The account must be an Exchange Full Administrator (Exchange 2003) or an Exchange Organization Administrator (Exchange 2007) at the top level of Exchange
2. The account must be either a Domain Administrator (Recommended, ensure that Domain Admins is a member of the Local Administrator's group on the Exchange Server) or a Local Administrator on the Exchange Server.
3. The account must have an active mailbox on the Exchange Server.
4. The account must have received e-mail via the mailbox.
5. The account must have sent e-mail via the mailbox.
6. The account must be named so that it is unique within 5 characters. (Refer to the TechNote below #7 for steps to test this).
7. The account must be visible to the Global Address List, not hidden from it.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306270

Talenter
Level 3
Thank you,

I will try this.

Alex_999
Level 3

Hi Talenter,
after you apply all the updates, reinstall the agent on your exchange server.

Talenter
Level 3
Hi, once again,

I tried everything you said and the job has the same error.

I updated my veritas software with the latest Hotfixes, reinstall the agent on exchange, granted permissions and nothing.

If you have another ideia please help me.

Tks.

Alex_999
Level 3

Hi, try to backup on your hard drive not on Tape, I've already got the same as you got but on hard drive it was fine... 

Also are you using exchange 2007 on a Virtual machine? Because with vmware server 2.0 when you add a second cpu on your virtual machine you can get this error.

Alex

Talenter
Level 3
Hi there, Alex_999,

In this method, i have found another error, that was quite easily to resolve with a entry in registry.
So, the backup execute without any problems.

Now, i´m trying to backup to tape to see if is ok.

Tks.

Alex_999
Level 3
Hi Talenter,

Are you still getting the problem when you backup on tape?

If yes please let me know if you exchange server is on a Virtual Machine and if you have 2 cpu on it.

Thanks

Talenter
Level 3
Once again the job status if Failed with the same error.

Any solution?

Alex_999
Level 3
Talenter,

Is that the backup on tape worked before? If yes check the last hotfix install with the tape that you begin to get this error that maybe an hotfix causing this problem so uninstall the hotfix and restart the BE server.

to test more quickly on your backup tape, you can do a job by selecting only the public folder. I'll take few minutes without delay of your outlook clients.

Alex

Alex_999
Level 3
Talenter,

Before uninstall any hotfixes try to backup only public folder but disable GRT. Let me know.

Alex_999
Level 3
Talenter,

sorry for multiple reply !! But we need to know which windows version are you using for you exchange server and BE server?

Talenter
Level 3
Hi Alex,

My windows version is Server 2003 Standart Edition Service Pack 2 32 Bits for BE.
For Exchange server is windows server 2003 r2 Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 2 with exchange 2007.

The Version of Symantec backup exec is 12 Rev. 1364.

In this moment i´m tryng to backup with GRT disable, only Publ. Folders.

Tks.

Talenter
Level 3
Latest news..

With GRT disable the job runs without any problem, but i only backup the Public folders, now i´m trying to backup all my information.

I will let you know the results.

Thank you Alex.

Alex_999
Level 3
I'm sure that will be running without any problem. But the inconvenient is you won't be able to recover one mailboxes....

Is that the backup on tape worked before with GRT Enable?

Talenter
Level 3
Hmmm... that inconvenient is bad.

Yes, GRT was always enable, and i never had this issue.

Alex_999
Level 3

Cool you resolve the problem which hotfixe was causing the problem?

Talenter
Level 3

Hi there,

The full job as run exactly as you said, without any problems.

Before my latest upgrade the job was give me the same error, so i doubt that was the hotfixes problem.

Now, i will explore with the people of exchange forum to see if exists any issue with restore of single mailbox trough Symantec software.

Alex_999 i´m grateful for your help and availability.

Alex_999
Level 3
Hi Talenter,

Please check this link I hope this will help you:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/event-id-9554-and-backup-exec-11d-backup-failures-exchange-server-2007-...

The problem is maybe just one account disable or hidden

Also I've you install Outlook on your Exchange Server? I hope not

sorry for my English I'm not the best in that language, but I'm doing

Talenter
Level 3
Hi Alex,

Yes.. but, i will unnistall right now.. (I didn´t knew)

So, i have news. I upgrade my version to 12.5 Service Pack 2 (The latest), and upgrade my remote agents, and i did something very important, i install de MAPI Client and collaboration Data Objects Package in exchanger server and now with the GRT enable the error is other.

"

\\lis1srv01.dominio.pt\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group </B><BR><A class=ERR onclick=ExpAll() href="#0" clickable="true">V-79-57344-766 - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.</A> "

Do you have any ideas?

I suspect that all our conversation will help most of the people that uses this aplication with tape hardware.