cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed backup...

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
Backup- \\MSSTO02\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Warning: Unable to backup the attachment data associated with one or more messages. Some messages and their attachments may have been deleted while the backup was already in progress.

I get that error almost every weekend when we do full backups. I have edited the registry to NOT show as failed and instead to show as "completed with exceptions" but it still say its FAILED everytime.

I followed the instructions from this link... http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261457.htm

Any suggestions?

Regards
Conny
11 REPLIES 11

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Conny,

This error might occur when Backup Exec performs a backup of mailboxes with
having "Single instance backup for message attachment" enabled.
When a mailbox has already been backed up, deleting a message attachment, which is associated with multiple mailboxes will make the job fails with the
error "Warning: Unable to backup the attachment data associated with one or
more messages".

To resolve this issue, uncheck the "Enable Single Instance backup for
message attachments" from Tools > Options > Exchange.

This should resolve your problem.

Please revert if the issue still persists.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
I just checked that setting and it was "unchecked" already.

I do however use "Enable single instance backup..." in the actual job.

Could that cause this??

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
You have the option to "Use single instance..." in both Exchange backup and in File backup. The one in Exchange should be OFF when running the job.

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
Yes, I know this but he said I should check the TOOLS - OPTIONS in the console. There its already is OFF.

In the actual JOB its ON. (turning it off now though just for testing).

The drawback with turning the single instance off is that it will backup every attachment instead of just linking to the first one. Thus needing more space. Well I�ll see how bad it gets this weekend when it runs.

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
OK, indeed it should then be turned off in the actual job.
It should not give too much extra data. I've only saved about 100 MB for a store of about 19 GB.
With that, the backup is running faster with "Single instance..." turned off, since BE doesn't need to check whether or not the instance has been backed up before.

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
Ok... thanx for that input... We however got a database about 70 GB and its slow as a turtle when it comes to restoring and backing up... hehehe

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Ouch...that is a bit larger than ours.
You can also use Recovery Storage Group.
Check this article: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-Backup-Strategies.html

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
Well, we have about 1500 users on it.. Anyway I will try fiddling with the settings on it and see if it goes away...

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue.....

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Conny_Lindquist
Level 5
You can close this... it seems to have gone away...

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Thank you for the Update !
We are closing this post !