cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error:0xa00084cd - The data being read from the media is inconsistent

Level 2
I am currently running Backup Exec 9.1 rev. 4691 on a Windows Server 2003 and my tape drive is an EXABYTE VXA-2 1U 10 tape robotic library. This is a recent installation, and my Backups seem to be completing, but when it gets to the verification process, I get the error Final error: 0xa00084cd - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. To be certain that my backups succeeded, I did a test restore and it was successful. When I installed the EXABYTE device, I followed the manufacturers instructions which specified to maximize all the settings in the configuration, but set the High Water Count to "0". What is cuasing this error? Is it one of those configuration settings? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Shaw
2 REPLIES 2

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The error occurs when Backup Exec is reading a tape prior to backup and encounters End of Data unexpectedly. Various things can cause such an error: losing power to the tape drive or server, a system or engine service crash, or a tape drive failure.

Verify if the device is listed in our HCL:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

In case it is, also try installing the latest Veritas device drivers which you can find on the following link:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

In case the problem persists, you can verify if there are any specific media related errors in the system event logs.

Let us know in case the suggestions provided here helped you in resolving the problem.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Level 2
I was able to figure out a fix. I had to go into the device properties and into the configuration tab and add a check mark to "Read Single Block Mode". That solved the problem, and there was no performance impact.