cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 2024 Loader no pickup from mailslot

homer_mg
Level 3

Hi all,

i have installed a new loader HP 2024 on our Windows 2003 Server.

Now the only thing i can't do with Symntec 12.5 is to import tapes, because the tapes stays in the mail slot and the picker do not pick up the tapes.

If i move the tapes with the web config tool from hp it works, so the loader can do that only symantec ignore my import command.

Can anybody help with this issue? :(

cheers

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Did you check if the hardware is supported on the BE 12.5 HCL?

You can delete the mailslot and recreate if you haven't already!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27473

Also make sure you install the latest device driver from Symantec.

homer_mg
Level 3

Hi Craig,

what is the right way to delet the mailslot? I can't see it I can See the tapedevice and the loader.

Hi AmolZeroCool,

I do not have this "Import/Export" section in my txt file.

and can you say me how i can be sure i have the latest device driver? I'm not sure where i can check that within symantec and where do i find the latest driver on the website?

Sorry just starting to working with symntec :(

We have exactly the same loader in our other office but the Server is running Windows 2008 and all is working ok. But i think that should not be a problem(Windows 2003)

Any other Ideas?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Use the web interface to the MSL2024 and check that the mailslot is enabled.  Once this is done, check that only 23 slots appear in BE.  If you see 24 slots, this means that the mailslot is not enabled.

If you have enabled the mailslot in the MSL2024 using the web interface and you still see 24 slots in BE, then do the following

1) update the firmware to the tape library/drive to the latest.

2) power off the media server and the tape library/drive

3) power up the tape library/drive

4) power up the media server

5) check that the tape library/drive is functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager

6) Once you see only 23 slots in BE, right-click on a non-empty slot and select Export.  This should place the tape in the mailslot.  If you right-click on the slot and select Import, this would move the tape in the mailslot back to the slot.

homer_mg
Level 3

Hi pkh,

thank you!

but unfortunately it still won't works.

my status.

1. in the web interface i see 23 slots, the mailslot is activated as well.

2. I have done the reboot und powered up the diveces in the order you wrote me.

3. I still see 24 slots in BE :(

4. Windows Device manger shows me the library without any errors.

I guess i shuld delete the library from the Backup exec and than instll it again. Whats is the right way to do that? Just right click on the library and delete? and than go to the device configuration ind install the mediadrivers again?

cheers

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have recently installed such a device with BE2010.
When we put a tape in the mail-slot, we had to use the IMPORT function in Backup Exec. (right click the library and select import, to move a tape to the mail slot select export).
You will NOT see the mailslot in Backup Exec.

homer_mg
Level 3

unfortunatly we are using 12.5 and yes i will not see the mail slot in BE but you should see only 23 slots and not 24 slots. And the point is that after i do an import or export the tape still stays in mailslot the picker do not move this tape.

PS. you mean right click on a slot or slots not on library i quess?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should right click on a slot and select import.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH34385

You do have installed all available patches for BE12.5 ?

homer_mg
Level 3

yes that the way im doing it but onfortuntly BE says job is copleted successfuly but if i open the mail slot the tape is still there.

patches are installed.

What is the right way to delete the library and to install it again within BE?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Run the Device Configuration Wizard in Backup Exec, and select the options to install the Symantec drivers, and delete the library.
After this, restart the BE services and it should detect the new drive.

Mike_Waesch
Level 2

You must start with an empty mail slot. Then make a right click on an empty slot in BE and select import. After you finished with the "setup" of the import job. open the mail slot and put the cartridge inside. When all is correct the picker should take the cartridge.

Mike

homer_mg
Level 3

done it allready several times :) the picker wont take the tapes from the mailslot

Mike_Waesch
Level 2

In the Device Configuration Wizard is there the mail slot enabled?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@homer_mg - When you see 24 slots in BE, this means that as far as BE is concerned, the mailslot is NOT enabled.  Thus you cannot do any import/export of tapes.

If you are sure that the mailslot is enabled in the library, then go to the Device tab and delete the library from BE then do the power off and power on sequence that I have posted earlier.  After the power re-cycle, BE should detect and re-install the library.  Hopefully, this time you would get 23 slots in BE.