cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Storageworks 1/8 autoloader w/960 Ultrium

Norris_Rusling
Level 2
I would like to use the autoloader of my new backup drive. I can get it to be recognized in BE9.1 as a single drive but not as a robotic library. I have tried many things but still no library listed. Is BE9.1 supposed to recognize the 1/8 autoloader with the 960 ultrium? Is there a driver for this drive in BE? The device manager see's the autoloader as a medium changer, but BE doesn't. In the removable storage manager it recognizes the drive and the autoloader, but both have a red X on them, I assume this is because I am using BE drivers instead of windows drivers, is this correct? What do I do??
3 REPLIES 3

Alan_Foley
Level 4
A couple of things, if you are going to use BE then you will have to turn RSM to manual. Use REGEDT32 to look in HKLM\Hardware\Devicemap\SCSI, then find the SCSI port that you have the device connected to, find the SCSI bus, then the target ID's you are using for the device, in the target ID, look for "identifier" then look at the string data returned from the device. Then examine the Veritas compatability listing to see if that name is listed, the names sometimes don't work out the same by vendor vs the BE equivalent. There are a couple of documents that speak to "troubleshooting a robotic device", pay attention to the SCSI id's in use to avoid conflicts, so you don't end up in a flame concerning what ID's are supposed to be used. I don't use the HP lineup anymore so can't give more details, but there are others using this type of device out there.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Norris!
You will find the following technote helpful:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Norris_Rusling
Level 2
I have been through all of the steps listed in the technote. Thanks
I have since upgraded to version 10d and it recognizes and uses the autoloader. I did try many many settings and steps to get it to work with 9.1 but finally got frustrated and moved on. Thank you for your response(s).

Norris