cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Creating SQL Backup Job Process w/Tape Rotation - BE 2010 R2 / R3

thundr101
Level 2

Hi!

We currently use/recommend customers to use Backup Exec 2010 R2 / R3 for a Daily Full and Hourly Log backup of their SQL Server databases.

We most commonly will use BE with a 12 Tape Library device - and I've have a hard time mastering the skill of creating a properly working backing regiment, that accurately backs up Full and Log backups - with the correct rotation pattern, that doesn't cause the program to eventually lock up due to my misconfiguring the solution.

I am looking for assistance in configuring a BE 2010 R2 / R3 installation, with the following parameters.  I really appreciate any assistance you guys can offer regarding setting this solution up properly.  Thank you!!

Server 2008 R2 Install Base - with BE 2010 R2 / R3
Backing up SQL 2000 Database

-Hourly Trans Log Backup
-Daily Full Backup

We would like product to backup data to library side 1 (Tapes 1-7) for Week 1, then rotate to Library Side 2 (Tapes 8-16) for Week 2... and so on.

I am not clear on the Vault Options, Media Retention Settings.. the various things that would obviously make this work.

If anyone can provide me configuration assistance, I would greatly appreciately it.

Thank you!!

--Brian

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I find it strange that you are recommending a solution to your customers when you don't know how to set it up properly or even if it is possible.

thundr101
Level 2

It's not my responsibility to set this up.  I'm asking, because I'd like to know and learn.