cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Help] Licensing Backup Exec for 2 Tape Library on different site

o2flamers
Level 2

Hello,

My company wants to build a new DRC site and we've already have Symantec Backup Exec running at DC site connect to Data Domain

For first phase, the tape library at DRC site will be function for restoring data from DC. ( The tape will manually bring to DRC for restore to the Storage)

There is no Data Domain at the DRC site. All the application that will be replicate is built on virtual machine and the tape library will have 2 drive.

For my perspective we just need AWS license and LEO License and for media service we dont need license because it's only use for restore only

I want to clarify this and give me enlightment about the correct license..

Regards,

Jeffri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check below as you might get the information you want:

http://www.emea.symantec.com/beguide/en-GB/solutions/disaster_recovery/

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

A BE media server licenses the first drive in an autoloader/library, and every subsequent drive needs 1 x LEO license.

ie. You have a library with 2 drives, you'd need 1 x LEO license per library if you have 2; if your libraries have 4 drives each, you'd need 3 x LEO licenses per library.

The BE 2012 licensing guide doesn't state anything around NOT having licenses for the library...from my perspective, I'd want myself covered in any case, and I would buy the necessary LEO licenses for the DR site.

Thanks!

o2flamers
Level 2

Hai Craig,

Thanks for the response.

So basiclly, are the Backup Exec at the DC site can manage the media server (LEO) at the DRC site ?

If can, are we need to purchase another license?

The media server at DRC just for Restore function

Regards,

Jeffri

CraigV

...I suppose it can. How is it attached? Why would you want central manage of the DR server when you can just remote into it?

There is the CASO option licensed with the Enterprise Server Option but it is expensive, and for 2 servers it might not be financially worth it!

Thanks!

o2flamers
Level 2

Hello Craig,

Sorry for the late response,

Here is the high level topology of DC and DRC.

ac_00049.png

So the tape at DRC will use only for restrore process. For the restore mode, are we need to purchase another license of Symantec Backup Exec ? Because we already have Symantec Backup Exec at DC.

Need your suggestion.

Regards,

CraigV

...check below as you might get the information you want:

http://www.emea.symantec.com/beguide/en-GB/solutions/disaster_recovery/

Thanks!