cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for tape library HP LTO5 configuration from SAN storage.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hi All,

I have a LTO 5 8096 tape library for tape backup purpose.

The scenario is like this: I have 2 data centres,Data center A and B. A is onsite and B is  offsite just for backup purpose and almost 1 kilometer distance from B. I need to conect it through Fiber channel SAN switch and i have bought it.It is 8 GBits  with SFP single mode.

How i can connect between two sites so that i can transfer almost 3TB data from site A to B every week as Full backup.I need step by step guide with configuration and Topology.I would be much thankful for all of You.

Many thanks in advance,

Best

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

This will be either one of four scenarios.  Though you never stated what the bandwidth or connecctivity is between sites.  This is key!

1.  Client side deduplication from site A to site B.  Site B houses the media server, disk space for the dedupe folder, and the tape connectivity.  

2.  A media server in site A doing local backups to disk.  A media server in site B doing local backups.  Both sites are connected via CASO.  Both sites have deduplication enabled.  From CASO, you do a duplicate job of data from one media server to the other.  From there you can duplicate to tape.  This can all be in a single policy.

3.  If you had enough bandwidth say at least 100Mb, it's possible that you can just backup over the WAN without deduplication.  1km of distance would enable all sorts of connectivity based on your location with little to no latency which is the biggest equalizer...  A 100Mb link with 30ms of latency is no better than 16Mb connection.  Add in 1% packet loss, it's about 4Mb.

4.  Completely non Symantec related...  You could do SAN replication if you had a SAN on both ends.  You could also look into a deduplication appliance from the likes of DataDomain, Exagrid, etc to backup with BackupExec to the appliance, let the appliance replicate the data, and then duplicate to tape as needed.  Appliance replication is about 10x more reliable than Option #2 I mentioned above, and much less cocmplex, though at a cost premium.