cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with the "no loss restore" option for exchange 2003

s_n_2
Level 4
I have Exchange 2003 and BE 9.1 for windows servers.

I am restoring a full backup of an online backup. I created the recovery storage group, added the database and in the process of creating a restore job.

I am confused as what does the "no loss restore" do when I restore the backup set? My only aim in doing the restore is to extract few items from a mailbox and I am not backing up individual boxes. Can someon clear this confusion for me? I mean does the no loss restore also replays the existing and production database logs into the restored recovery storage group?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

s_n_2
Level 4
Isn't there anyone with Veritas can answer my simple question about the "no loss restore" feature? BE is doing terrible job of documenting their product as always.

I am seeing a lot of questions about this "no loss feature" in various internet forums and no one seems to know what in the world this things does. I see Veritas employee's answering other questions but not this. Makes me wonder if they actually know their product.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
This is taken from the Help file:-
Select this check box to preserve the existing transaction logs on the Exchange 2000 or 2003 server. Transaction logs from the storage media are then restored and added to the existing set of transaction logs on the Exchange 2000 or 2003 server. When the restore operation finishes, Exchange 2000 or 2003 automatically updates its databases with the uncommitted transactions found in the existing and newly-restored transaction logs. This option is selected by default.

If you are restoring individual databases into a storage group, the No loss restore check box should be selected. If this check box is not selected, uncommitted transactions for other databases in the storage group may be lost.

Put it simply -
1. When No Loss Restore is checked - existing transaction logs will not be deleted. When the restore finishes the logs will be replayed and the server should not have lost any data.
2. When No Loss Restore is unchecked - existing transaction logs will be deleted. Once the restore has finished the exchange stores will be at a point that of the end of the backup you just restored.

In your case because you are restoring to the RSG, you would uncheck No Loss Restore.

There is also a Guide Me Wizard feature in the Exhange settings of the restore job - it will ask you exactly what you want to do and then make the appropriate settings for you.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
I have been confused by this issue for some time too. I have never had a no loss restore actually work. Every time I tried one, the Exchange database resfused to mount following the restore.

When I contacted Veritas support (prior to these forums) they pointed me in the direction of the Veritas DR document which requests you untick this box, and do a lossy restore.

They informed me they had "resolved" my issue, but as far as I can see I've only been informed that the no loss restore doesn't work.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Luke,

Can we please have that update on the status of your issue and whether our suggestions ahve helped.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.