cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Backups -> Deleting before backing up

iCe
Level 3

Good morning.  I've seem to run into a snag when my 'hot backups' occur.  What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a daily backup of our /public/ directory in case my tape drive goes bad again.  This way while I'm troubleshooting the tape drive problem, I'll have a 'spare' daily backup of our data.  So after creating a 500GB partition on the SAN unit, I setup a folder on the drive and created a B2D folder and a 'Job Setup' with the following options:

** Selection**
Selection -> /public/
** Priority and Availability **
Priority -> Highest
** Destination **
Device -> B2D Folder
Media Set -> Daily
When this job begins -> Overwrite Media
** General **
Backup Method -> Full - Using archive bit (reset archive bit)
** Advanced **
Advanced -> Back up files and directories by following junction points
** Schedule **
Schedule -> Everyday - 9pm

After reviewing the logs this morning I found that the folder directory did not overwrite any files but created new 4GB files until the job ran out of space.  Yesterday I had previously ran a test backup on the job and the backup was 330GB which fit in the folder.  All the job did yesterday was add more files from the backup job.

Question -- Is there a way to automatically delete all the files in the folder so I will not have to worry about running out of space?  Thanks..

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Couple of things to check

1)  From Tools\Options\Media Mangement,  make sure that the option "Use overwriteable media in target media set before scratch media" is selected

2)  What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set that is being written to disk? 

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-07-2008 09:23 AM

iCe
Level 3

Ken -- Thanks for the reply.

1) - Media Management -> Media Overwrite Option -> Checked "Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media".

2) - Apparently I was using the "Daily Media Set" which is protected for 1 week.  I went ahead and made a new media set "Hot Backup" with the overwrite option set to 12hrs.  I think this is where the problem was so I'll have to wait till tomarrow to verify it. << Crosses Fingers >>

iCe
Level 3
Nope and now when I run a test run, it comes up as no media found :(   Back to square 1 ...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you want to overwrite/reuse existing BKF files, change the first option to "reuse recycleable before scratch" or else BackupExec will continue creating new BKF files until you run out of disk space