cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Locate Corrupt Exchange file?

Matt_Western
Level 3
Can anyone tell me how I can locate this file or item and delete it? Here's what is printed in our backup log.

WARNING: "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁A8BCA1996A547C10623776BFD1BA3124ABF24E0A9CAB7989" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

We're running BE 10.0 rev 5520

Many thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Under tools/options turn up your logging so you log at the file level, your log from the next backup will tell you where the problem lies.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

--- Did you check under if the file still exists?

--- Could you please update us on the problem?

Thank You,

Shweta

Matt_Western
Level 3
Thanks for your reply Phil. I increased the logging options and it hasn't given me any more details.

The message appears after the last mailbox is backed up. The last mailbox appears to backup OK as entries in the log are consistant with what is entered after previous mailboxes are backed up.

Here are some entries from the backup log showing the completion of the last mailbox and the error ...

Folder User User Top of Information StoreSent Items
Folder User User Top of Information StoreTasks
Folder User User Views
Mailbox _Attachments_
WARNING: "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁A8BCA1996A547C10623776BFD1BA3124ABF24E0A9CAB7989" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Backup completed on 07/02/2007 at 23:04:25.

Thanks in advance.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
In the job log under the "errors" banner the problem should be written in red, if you click on the error code it should take you to the specific part of the backup that the error occured on, this should list the file or database it had problems with.

Matt_Western
Level 3
Thanks again Phil. Unfortunately BE is having trouble creating the xml file that it uses to display the log, so I am stuck looking at the text version.

I've created a new backup job in an attempt to get around the XML problem. I'll let that run 2nite and see if I get a log I can work with.

Bill_Baggott
Not applicable
I have the same two problems, a Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes _Attachments_ corrupt file with no reference but a long Alphanumeric string that originally I thought was an exchange mailbox GUID but turned out not to be. I don't know if it is a GUID or not.

I get an xml error as well with the logs. The message informs me that it will be displayed in text.

Illegal xml character.
66: D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_ServerName_02947.xml

It is related in that there are two square box symbols leading the alphanumeric string listed the other error. I opened the log file in notepad, deleted the square symbols, and reopened with the log viewer and the regular display was restored.

The _Attachments_ mailbox is probably the BEX single instance store for all of the Exchange attachments. The alphanumeric string may be raw data or a GUID for locating a particular attachment in the single instance store. The error message is not enough info to locate the bad attachment. There is no cross to a user mailbox.

I notice there has been no activity for a while, has this been solved with a support case?

We need Symmantec/Veritas help.

Added since original post:
Found a KB article
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258888 From 2005!
It is related to single instance attachment storage. No info on xml problem though.Message was edited by:
Bill Baggott

Ryan_G_Williams
Not applicable
Has anyone found a way to trace this problem back? I tried a new backup set without the SIS enabled and I did not get a corrupt email or attachment. I wish there was a way to get rid of the block character automatically at the very least.