cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I configure my Media Server to manage the tape drive of other servers on my network?

rlaraujo
Level 2
On Symantec Backup Exec 11d, How do I configure my Media Server to manage the tape drive of other servers on my network?

I have 4 Servers with tape drivers (LTO, DLT, DDS4..) and i like to use just one Media Server to manage backups jobs and use all drivers, it is possible?

i have this licences:
Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Server and  Advanced File Option.... I need another licence?

Thank you for your attention,

Rafael Araujo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Rafael,

You will need to install CAS/MMS option for this.  A CAS License will have to be purchased along with a Backup Exec License for each server that you want to install Backup Exec on. 

Backup Exec will have to be installed on each server you wish to use the tape drive on, once all the servers have Backup Exec installed then you will need to make one of them the CAS(Central Administration Server) and the rest of the servers will become a MMS (Managed Media Server).  I would suggest reading the section in the Admin guide regarding CAS

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Rafael,

You will need to install CAS/MMS option for this.  A CAS License will have to be purchased along with a Backup Exec License for each server that you want to install Backup Exec on. 

Backup Exec will have to be installed on each server you wish to use the tape drive on, once all the servers have Backup Exec installed then you will need to make one of them the CAS(Central Administration Server) and the rest of the servers will become a MMS (Managed Media Server).  I would suggest reading the section in the Admin guide regarding CAS

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You would need more media servers and the CASO option to manage them so yes lots more licenses

rlaraujo
Level 2
Thank you, Srs!

The solution is exactly that and it works perfectly!

[]´s

RLA