Overwrite Protection - question

John_Brigan
Level 4
This is the message I'm getting on a differential backup:

Overwrite Protection Time Left: None
Append Time Left: Infinite
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
from one or more sets created during this operation.
The operation can not be continued

It doesn't happen every day.  The diff runs Monday through Friday.
The job is configured to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available".
Why would I be getting this message, on the 2nd or 3rd day of the diff?  Of course it already contains data.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

In general, won't I need to Label Media prior to putting in a tape for the beginning of a weekly Differential backup?  So as to avoid the tape being full?

Not if you manage your OPPs correctly

If you want to reuse a tape ever Monday for example, set the OPP to 6 days

If you want to Overwrite on every fourth Monday, and append the rest of the week, set the APP (append period) to 5 days and the OPP to 22 days

etc

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sounds like the job has filled the tape up, and has tried to reload the same tape to continue the job

This is a stand-alone drive, not a loader/library, correct?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Umm did the job fill the tape and then find it was overwritable so try and use it again.

Bascially when a tape is filled during a job, the job searches for an overwriteable media to continue the job, looks to me like it is finding that the original media is overwriteable but then protecting you from something dangerous by detecting that the media was used by the same job.

Would recommend setting your overwrite protection to at least 1 day and then make sure another piece of overwriteable media is available (if tape - a B2D will create another media anyway as long as it does not find something that is overwritable.)

John_Brigan
Level 4
How can I check to see if the tape is full?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

it the job starts writing and then after a while pops up this error, the tape is full

Colin_Weaver
 Look at tape details in media section of admin console

But bear in mind your problem is kind of that your tape fills up during one of the jobs and you have got 0 overwrite protection it is the combination of the two factors that is likely to cause the problem.

Rather more concerning though is if you have 0 day overwrite protection how are you stopping your full backup from being overwritten - bearing in mind that to recover a complete set of files you would need the full and one of the differential backups. 

John_Brigan
Level 4
This is an older version of Backu Exec - v8.6
I don't see a place (see screen shot below) to set overwrite days.
What should I choose, the middle option - partial?

I can do "properties" on a tape in the Media section, and click on Statistics, but I don't think that is what's on the tape.  Bytes written is 269 Gb, and this is a DDS4 20 gb tape.

BackupExec.gif

Colin_Weaver
 Sorry not familiar with 8.6 - but the later versions use a media set to control the overwrite properties that work with similar settings to those shown in your screenshot. As such if 8.6 also uses media sets you need to look at these properties.

However the newer versions do have that none setting - which is a really bad option to choose for not accidentally overwriting a critical tape. At very least would set that to partial.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v8.6 is similar

From the Media Tab, right click the media set\Properties

And I completely agree that the Global media management option of protection NONE is very poor choice (or  a media set OPP of none for that matter)

John_Brigan
Level 4
The backup failed again last night.  But, it does backup data.  I come in, in the morning, and there's an alert that "there's no appendable media, Please insert media '4MM000001' into the drive"  I click on Ok. and the job ends.  Although, the time shown in BE shows it ended last night.
This is what I don't understand:
- if the tape was full, how could it backup any data?  It backed up 9gb
- if I look at previous jobs that ran, it has successfully run, and when it does, it backs up about 10gb.  I'm surprised it's backing up anything, if the tape is supposedly full.

A big part of the problem is, this version is so old.  I not only don't see a place to check if the tape is full, I also don't see a place to view the job schedule.

Colin_Weaver
The tape was not 100% full - it had space for 9GB and then asked for another tape.

Would suggest you look at the Managing Media section in the Admin Guide
http://support.veritas.com/docs/240870

John_Brigan
Level 4
Ok, thanks, I'll take a look at that.

In general, won't I need to Label Media prior to putting in a tape for the beginning of a weekly Differential backup?  So as to avoid the tape being full?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Not if you manage your OPPs correctly

If you want to reuse a tape ever Monday for example, set the OPP to 6 days

If you want to Overwrite on every fourth Monday, and append the rest of the week, set the APP (append period) to 5 days and the OPP to 22 days

etc

John_Brigan
Level 4
I realize now I've never been using the OPP correctly.  This is going to help a lot.  I may have other questions on this, but if I do I'll start a new post.
Thanks