cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure Backup Exec with Exchange & SQL?

vijaykumar8480
Not applicable
Hello Symantec,

Greetings,

I am going to install Exchange Server 2007 under EBS 2008.

Now I want to take the backup of the following Database:-

S.No      Server / Database      Size      Frequency
1.      Exchange mailbox (Kindly advice log files are need to be backed up or not) = 25 Users      1 GB / users MB      Daily Evening (For Log files kindly advice)
2.      SQL Server      25 G.B.       Daily Evening (For Log files kindly advice)
3.      File Server      10 GB      Daily Evening

Kindly advice which backup exec I have to use(pls provide me the config steps too) :-

How to configure VSS regards to exchange & SQL Data + Logs in Backup exec.

Kindly explain in dept with an example would appriciate if any video link can be provided.

Many thanks,

V.K.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi V.K,

Well, Backup Exec 2010 has officially been released, and it offers a lot of new tech...support for Exchange 2010; support out-the-box for Windows Server 2008 R2 and R2 Core (as full media installations); deduplication etc. So if you can look at that, great.
Otherwise at a minimum I would suggest Backup Exec 12.5 with SP3 loaded.
You need to consider the following:

1. Exchange agent license needed to do full Information Store backups/restores online without taking the IS offline to do either. This allows GRT restores. This is 1 Exchange license per server.
2. SQL agent license needed for the same reason above. This is 1 license per SQL server, not per DB.
3. Do not use VSS or Advanced Open File Option with either. I use AOFO with Exchange with no problems, but what works for me may not work for you. Symantec advise against it. I can vouch for not using AOFO with SQL, as it prevents database restore redirections.
4. All you need to do is load the licenses on your media server, and create a selection list with SQL and Exchange together (no files, System States etc), and then create a job that is associated with it.
5. Look at creating a GFS policy for Files/System State etc, and a GFS Policy for Exchange/SQL(easier to maintain), which will give you a Daily, Weekly Monthly rotation on tapes, and you can customise the start times, dates they run on etc.
6. Using #6, it is possibly to run 2 jobs to the same tape...read up on my article here...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

With the size of your backups, I would go with FULL backups too...When you use the SQL/Exchange agents, all that needs to be selected is the Exchange Information Store and the SQL (Full or instances) DBs. Comitting logs is done by Backup Exec AFTER it is finished backing up those 2 items.

Hope this helps?

Laters!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Hi V.K,

Well, Backup Exec 2010 has officially been released, and it offers a lot of new tech...support for Exchange 2010; support out-the-box for Windows Server 2008 R2 and R2 Core (as full media installations); deduplication etc. So if you can look at that, great.
Otherwise at a minimum I would suggest Backup Exec 12.5 with SP3 loaded.
You need to consider the following:

1. Exchange agent license needed to do full Information Store backups/restores online without taking the IS offline to do either. This allows GRT restores. This is 1 Exchange license per server.
2. SQL agent license needed for the same reason above. This is 1 license per SQL server, not per DB.
3. Do not use VSS or Advanced Open File Option with either. I use AOFO with Exchange with no problems, but what works for me may not work for you. Symantec advise against it. I can vouch for not using AOFO with SQL, as it prevents database restore redirections.
4. All you need to do is load the licenses on your media server, and create a selection list with SQL and Exchange together (no files, System States etc), and then create a job that is associated with it.
5. Look at creating a GFS policy for Files/System State etc, and a GFS Policy for Exchange/SQL(easier to maintain), which will give you a Daily, Weekly Monthly rotation on tapes, and you can customise the start times, dates they run on etc.
6. Using #6, it is possibly to run 2 jobs to the same tape...read up on my article here...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

With the size of your backups, I would go with FULL backups too...When you use the SQL/Exchange agents, all that needs to be selected is the Exchange Information Store and the SQL (Full or instances) DBs. Comitting logs is done by Backup Exec AFTER it is finished backing up those 2 items.

Hope this helps?

Laters!

CraigV
Any news here dude? Has this helped at all?

CraigV
Hi V.K,

Any news here? If so, can you please close off?