cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine which tape(s) to use on restore job

Kenny_Falconer
Level 3
We have a 19 tape robotic library - is there any way of determining which tapes will be required on a restore job - we can only see which tape the respective backup started on - our backups use multiple tapes.

It is very annoying to have to get tapes from off-site more than once for a restore.

Kenny
2 REPLIES 2

Mike_Morgan_4
Level 3
HAHA... been there, done that.

The best way I've found is log your jobs into an Excel spreadsheet. My excel spreadsheet has the Job Title, Tape(s) used, Size of backup, how long it ran, and if it completed successful or not. I've been keeping this type of log updated on a daily basis for years now. It has always helped because you can resort back to your spreadsheet, print it out, etc... and collect all tapes from your most recent Full backup, to all Diff/Incr backups that followed it to present day.

I always hated finding that the job would hang up, waiting for a particular tape to be inserted.

Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Kenny,

There is another way. You can always generate reports in backup exec on a daily basis. You can find out which tapes have been lately used, what resources have been backed up and there are many more such reports. You might want to explore this option for yourself :)

I am sure this helps you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.