cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove devices from the device pool?

SF_Chewy
Level 4

Currently I am attempting to remove devices from the device pool and reinstall my TL4000 drivers as I am experiencing the good ol BSOD related to driver issues. However I cannot remove any of the entries for the missing devices (as seen by the attached screenshots). I have attempted to run the Device Configuration wizard to remove them (going to the install procedure and uninstalling the drivers) but they have been unsuccessful in the removal of those entries.

How can I remove these devices so I can restart a fresh install of drivers for my TL4000?

My config is as follows:

Windows 2003 R2 64 bit (latest SP's installed)

Backup Exec 12.5

TL4000 library with 2 Full Height drives (SAS)

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the BE installation directory and run tapeinst.exe.  You would be able to delete any tape devices and install them.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

If you do not have any jobs or you plan to recreate them you can perform a reload from base using BEUTILITY.exe (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) and that entry should vanish

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Hello!

Please attempt the following,

1) Ensure that there are no jobs pointing to the devices in question in Backup Exec, if any the devices will not be available to delete. Retarget the jobs to all devices or another device and place them on hold.

2) Ensure that there are no entries for these devices in the device manager.

3) Run the tapeinst.exe and remove entries and uninstall all devices.

4) Reboot the server, ensure that the devices no longer show up.

If this works you may proceed with connecting and installing the new device.

Keep us posted!

SF_Chewy
Level 4

I have run the tapeinst.exe numerous times, however those entries still stand. The screenshots that I took was after I had run that and uninstalled (as stated in the post previous). I'm guessing I may have to run BEUtility.exe to reload it.

I may have to wait to do that as there are a number of jobs waiting to complete. I don't think it affects the jobs anyways.

I'll have to keep you guys posted. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Note :- Reload from Base will load new/empty database files which will not contain your jobs, media settings and any other settings that you might have set in BE. So this will have to be redone.