cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HowTo: BackUp2Disk2Tape

Stoertebecker
Level 0

Hi,

at this time we backup our hole data to tape. The BackUp-time ist very long (65 h). We use a Tandberge StorageLoader LTO-4. Because of the long BackUp Time I want to create a alternative job like BackUp2Disk2Tape. 

What is the best way for this job?

I configured two job. One Job for the BackUp2Disk. After this time another job backup this files to tape. For the restore this is not very good. Because I can not see the original files; only the bkf-files. 

Is ther another better way? Does Symantec support a really backup2disk2tape job, so that I can restore it easier?

regards

Klaus

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

See the Admin Guide

In the English Language versio n it is on page 443

polarized
Not applicable

The BKF files will be the files necessary for the restore in the event of failure.

Back2Disk is quite simple. Just create a Backup-to-disk Folder and point it to your disk location (it may be a network share, NAS, SAN, or locally attached storage device, such as a USB drive).

Configure your backup job just as you normally would except you point it to your B2D folder.

You will notice that your backup jobs should run a lot faster if it is a locally attached device, but it will run slower running the job over the network.

Then, create your backup2tape job and save your B2D folder to tape.

Note: If you are getting locked files, then you may wish to inquire about the Open File Option for BE.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you do the D2T section, be sure that you specify a type of DUPLICATE rather than COPY

This way you can restore directly from tape rather than having to restore the BKF files, then innventorying, then cataloging and THEN restoring. 

If you do GRT enabled Exchange backups, once the data is on tape, BackupExec must stage the complete store in temp space on the media server before it can extract the desired item(s)

ArunGupta
Level 3
I am using the BackUP2Disk2Tape job as suggested but the size of backup-to-disk folder keeps increasing as this folder is getting overwritten by subsequent BackUP2Disk2Tape jobs. Please suggest how can i configure the backup-disk folder in overwrite mode so that its overwritten every time I execute a new job. I want to use backup2disk folder as Dsisk cache to avoid shoe-shine effect during tape writing.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) of the media set(s) involved such that when you no longer need the BKF files, they can be re-used or overwritten