cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to have one *.bkf file only per day how do i do that,

panyor
Level 3
i need expert advice on how do i configure my Smantec Backup exec 10d to generate only 1 bkf file per job schedule, currently im having 7 to 10 bkf files per job.

thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Panyor

On the properties of your B2D device, is it set to 1 set per file?   Are you backing up 14  different shares/resources?

Reason I ask is that the BKF files are not all the same size.   It  LOOKS  like it is only placing one resource  (set) in each BKF file

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

You can create different media sets for every job. Set the overwrite protection to none and always append. You should also set in the job to "append to media. If no appendable, overwrite".
In that way, you will have one B2D folder per job and there will be append for each job. When the limit of the B2D is reached, the bkf will be overwritten.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Don't really know why you would want to do it, but in the poperties for the folder you are pointing you job as set "Max File Size" to a value large enought to hold the entire backup

If you set it slightly low, tho, and a second one is created for a job, you will have wasted all the space not used when the next job runs with overwrite to create a new BKF File

panyor
Level 3
Nia - Currently my settings for Job begins = Overwrite media, i will try to use your suggestion append to media, if not overwrite, i have a strong feeling this could be the solution, ill run it for my tonights backup and update you guys tommorow

ken - My Daily backup size is about 65gb incremental 6 daily and 277gb full friday only, yes i did set the max size larger than my backup daily max size - 100gb, friday max size - 300gb but my backup will still create another set(bkf) even 250mb, 1gb, 5gb, 20gb etc.  i also set the max nos. of backup sets = 1, disk space reserve = 0, Device settings = auto detect and cuncurrent operation = 10, 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Nia - Currently my settings for Job begins = Overwrite media, i will try to use your suggestion append to media, if not overwrite, i have a strong feeling this could be the solution, ill run it for my tonights backup and update you guys tommorow

ken - My Daily backup size is about 65gb incremental 6 daily and 277gb full friday only, yes i did set the max size larger than my backup daily max size - 100gb, friday max size - 300gb but my backup will still create another set(bkf) even 250mb, 1gb, 5gb, 20gb etc.  i also set the max nos. of backup sets = 1, disk space reserve = 0, Device settings = auto detect and cuncurrent operation = 10, 

Append could indeed have been part of your problem.  Another problem with Append is that of any of the BKF files become corrupt, The rest may or may not work.  Also, if you use append, NONE of the bkf files in the media "family" will ever expire, because they all share the same OPP, which is reset each time the newest is closed

Not sure why a file size larger than the data gives you multiple BKF files.  How fragmented is the disk these files are on?

panyor
Level 3
here is the screenshot of the backup i run today i had already change the settings as what NIA  suggested.

i also deleted all the recent backup so it will create a new bkf but the result is still the same.

imagebrowser image

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Panyor

On the properties of your B2D device, is it set to 1 set per file?   Are you backing up 14  different shares/resources?

Reason I ask is that the BKF files are not all the same size.   It  LOOKS  like it is only placing one resource  (set) in each BKF file

panyor
Level 3
Ken

are you referrring to Max Nos. of backup sets per B2D file my settings is 1, Yes i have 14 resources, does it mean that i should set it to Minimum 14 set per file instead of 1? hmmm i think your right about this let me run again the backup tonight update you again tomorow. :)

imagebrowser image

tomk
Not applicable
the fix for me was to select...

options
   media management
     overwrite recycleable media...

panyor
Level 3
tomk

my configuration is already set to overwrite recyclable media, thanks for the info.

Ken / Nia

finally i got my one bkf per job, all your suggestions really help me a lot

again thank you guys for the great help