cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify tapes to be exported

Robert_Ferguson
Level 3

I need to export tapes as well to I/O slots in my library.  I have 12 I/O Slots. I have figured how to chain jobs, I can find what media was written to, but nothing I've found will tell me what slots they live in to call Get-BERoboticLibraryDevice | Get-BERoboticLibrarySlot -SlotNumber X,Y,Z | Submit-BEExportMediaJob.  If, somehow I can find what slots X,Y, and Z, are from the get-mediaset "Daily Tape", I'm golden.  If you run Get-BEMediaSet -Name "Whateveryourmediasetnameis"  you can get all the tape barcodes or what you've named the tapes.  Can you help me getting the slot numbers the tapes live in? 

Thanks,

Robert 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can do the following 1. First job overwrite the tape 2. Subsequent jobs specify append 3. Only the last job will have an export stage to export the tape

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to identify the tapes used in the jobs yourself.  BE does that for you.  All you need to do to export the tapes is to add an export stage to your backup job.  After the backup is done, the tape used would be exported, i.e. placed in the I/O slots.  You don't have to do any scripting.

I have 12 I/O Slots.

Wow! What is the make and model of your tape library?

Robert_Ferguson
Level 3

The library is a Dell ML6020 with 120 slots.  and 12 I/O.  I could bring it down to 6 I/O slots but when we do our weekly tape exchange, it would take several trips.

So, thanks to BE 2012 screwing up everything.....  sorry, another story.

This is for Daily Incremental and Differentials. -

So I can tell every job to export a tape.  Then, because 2012 is Server Centric instead of job centric, each job would export a tape.  Instead of sending many jobs to a tape.  I would have 30 LTO6 tapes with only a few Gigs of data to maybe a couple hundred gigs of data on them instead of trying to fill the tape with 6.25 TB of data or as much as I have to put on a single tape.

Now, who can afford to put so little data on an LTO6.  No us.  So.   Thoughts on scripting export of a tape in a media set?

Thanks,

Robert

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can do the following 1. First job overwrite the tape 2. Subsequent jobs specify append 3. Only the last job will have an export stage to export the tape

Robert_Ferguson
Level 3

Thank you.  I really didn't think of that. 

I'll look into doing this.  Still wondering if there's a way to script it.

Thanks,

Robert