cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal XLM Character when trying to view logs

JimL
Level 3
We have been getitng the following error when we try to view our Exchange 2003 server backup log:

Illegal XLM Character
D:\Program Files\BackupExec\Data\BEX_TREET_03635.xml

We were getting it before when we were running Backup Exec 10 and were still able to read the text only log, but recently upgraded to the latest build and hotfixes for 11d. The error is still there in 11d, but we don't even get the chance to read the text only log in BackupExec 11d now. We have to load the log in a text editor to read it.

Were running it on Windows 2003 sever SP2 and all latest Microsoft patches and updates.

There was a tech article I found in your support pages (http://support.veritas.com/docs/254079) that mentioned upgrading to MSXLM 4.0 SP2 and reregistering the DLLS, but it seems we're running a newer version of MSXLM already. I did reregister the DLLs without seeing a difference.

What can I do to resolve this?

Message Edited by JimL on 07-18-200704:14 PM

6 REPLIES 6

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi Jiml,

You can try reinstalling the XML version you are using .

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

JimL
Level 3
Still not working. I reinstalled the MS XML version 6 and made sur ethe dlls were all registered, but still got the error on this weekends mail backup.

What else can I do?

MFOC
Level 3
I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has made any progress regarding this issue.  It appears it only affects 11d installations that are trying to back up an Exchange system?  I have read all of the other posts and attempted the "workarounds" with no luck.

It's obvious that the problem lies not in the reading of the log files, but the creation instead.  Before the upgrade, the log files were 30 to 60KB - now they're being created in the 2GB range!!!  This is bad news......

Can someone from Symantec please offer some advice?????

JimL
Level 3
Actually, I don't have this issue any longer.

Turns out I was trying to backup the Exchange server twice. Once for the legacy method (MS Exchnage Mailboxes/Public Folder items) and once for the new method ('Microsoft Information Store'.

Since I deselected the legacy items, my backups go through without problems and seem to be getting everythign in the store (although I'veonly spot checked it). No XML problems any longer.

MFOC
Level 3
I have it set up to do both right now also.....but.....  I can't see a way to restore to the message level by NOT doing the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes option also.  If I just do the Information Stores, the only restore option I see is to just do the whole stores.

I'm definitely not well versed on the Exchange piece yet - I have to dig in and see what the recommended methods are and if there are any limitations to each.  I kind of set it up quick and let 'er rip - has worked great until 11d....

MFOC
Level 3
Ahhh.... Found the option to restore to the message and folder level from Information Store backups.  Will try tonight.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!!