cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install BE 10D To A LIVE Win 2003 SQL Server

UKG
Level 2
Hello,

We need to install Backup Exec software to our SQL server which is already running our live SQL database etc. My question is, during the installation of Backup Exec, the program asks you to choose to install SQL 2000 Desktop Engine locally and install to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSQL$BE or to choose an existing database to use instead.

We need to confirm which option to choose at this point as we are not 100% sure on what to choose and don't want to encounter problems with our live database, understandably.

Please could you offer any advice on this? We really need to get a Backup solution sorted ASAP!

Many Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
We need to install Backup Exec software to our SQL server which is already running our live SQL database etc.

Why?  grab a spare desktop, stick in a SCSI card, connect your drive/library.  With today's processors, you will be much more likely to face network bottlenecks than processor bottlenecks  The SQL serial includes one RAWS, so you'll be able to backup the SQL server .

I'd prefer an MSDE database   My thinking is that if you put the database in an existing instance, you have to have SQL back before you can restore, but you have to have BackupExec before you can do a SQL restore , but ..