cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install remote agent on server with old version of BE

Chris_Parker
Level 2
Hello,

I have one server with BE 10 and another with BE 8.6. Both are Win 2k Server machines. Currently the 8.6 machine is only backing up itself locally and nothing else.

I would like to keep that server running 8.6 just in case I need it again. At some point when I decide I don't need it I'll probably upgrade the server's hardware or do a reinstall and get rid of the old version.

Before I step out and do a remote install of the remote agent I wanted to know if this is (1) possible, (2) a good idea, and (3) easy as I'm hoping. :)

As far as I've determined I will simply need to run the remote agent install from the server with BE 10 and be done with it. After the install I assume I will be able to begin backing up the server with BE 8.6 currently installed on it.

Thanks!
Chris.

p.s. I am aware that I need a remote agent license for the server I want to backup. I haven't looked into it yet but I'm pretty sure I bought a license for it a while back... if not I'll be purchasing one before I do the install.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No - You cannot have v8.6 media server running a v10 RAWS,

I've never tried it, but this might work, depending on what registry values are set.

shut down all BackupExec Services, and do a local install of the RAWS

Then you'll need a couple of CMD files, one to stop the RAWS and start v8.6 and the other to stop v8,6 and start the RAWS

Used to do something similar when migrating from v6.11 to v7Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Chris_Parker
Level 2
So it's ok to have the binarys installed on the computer, but what I need to avoid is having the two different services running at the same time. Correct?

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As I said, it may work, but it's the only way I can think of that even might work

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please note that it is not possible to install the Remote Agent on a server that is already running Backup Exec for Windows.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.