cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.

zachredmon
Level 3

I have a client who is running Backup Exec 12.5 on a Dell Server. They are backing up to a tape drive which is recognized by Backup Exec. They have recently moved and Backup Exec has not had a successful backup since they were at the old location. They are using the same tapes, none of which work. I tried running a test backup and received this message. "Online media check   : Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.Overwrite media check: There is no media online or nearline that can be overwritten or the job has been marked append/terminate."

The Media Capacity check completes successfully. What steps can I take to get these backups going again?

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Run an inventory and check if BE detects the tape.

2) Make sure you are not running a test job.

3) In the job properties select " append if no appendable media then overwrite" option

4) Initially move media to the scratch media set do not assign media to anyother media set.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Does an inventory complete successfully?

if so, take a tape that is alread in the scratch set, or move a tape that can be resused into the scratch set, and insert it into the drive.  Inventory, then run a small test job defined as overwrite only and see what happens