cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to do a duplicate backup template with only one tape drive?

Chris_Wornell
Level 3
I don't quite understand what a duplicate backup template does. Does it actually duplicate the media, i.e. tape to tape or disk to tape? Does it record all the files that were backed up by the template its linked to and then re-backup those files again from the client computer?

I tried a duplicate backup template with a single tape drive and it just got stuck on loading media when running the duplicate template. I'm assuming it was waiting for a second tape drive to load the duplicate media.

If I have only one tape drive, would I have to add another tape drive or backup to disk to create a duplicate tape backup?

Also, when doing a full backup with the copy files option, do those backups affect ones that use modified time (I know they don't affect archive bit backups).

Thanks!

-Chris
3 REPLIES 3

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Chris,

Yes, you can run a duplicate backup job with a single tape drive. You must first configure a backup job and then a duplicate job. You can configre it according to your setup. You can run a backup to a backup to disk folder and then duplicate the same data on to a tape.

Hope this helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chris_Wornell
Level 3
Hello,

So in order for a duplicate job to work with one tape drive, you have to use a backup to disk? You can't have the original and duplicate backup occur on the tape drive?

Also, when doing a full backup with the copy files option, do those backups affect ones that use modified time (I know they don't affect archive bit backups)?

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Chris!

It is not so that you have to use a backup to disk. You may have it on the tape.

You can find more information on "duplicate job template" in the administrator's guide on page no:401. Link for the same is as below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

Secondly, full backup with the copy files option won't reset archive bit as well as don't affect any media rotation scheme.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.