cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with VMWare GRT SQL Restore from Tape

tcaswell
Level 2

I have been puzzeling over this for the past few days and hoping someone has some insight on what i'm overlooking.

The issue is in regards to GRT restores from VMWare backups on tape, in particular SQL databases. I am able to succesfully backup the virtual machine, restore individual files, restore the virtual machine itself, but i can not restore the individual SQL datbases, i receive the following error:

Job ended: Thursday, January 05, 2012 at 3:46:38 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0009741 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images. Restores that use Granular Recovery Technology may not be available from this backup set. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38721

Restore
V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images: V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

I am however, able to duplicate/create a backup-to-disk backup and restore the indvidual SQL database that way. I have verified that there is space in whatever temporary directories i am setting as the staging areas, but it seems that it does not even attempt to dump the vmware image to disk before attempting to pull the DB from it. Any ideas? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think this is a known issue & you are already attempting one of the workarounds by duplicating to disk...the other workaround is to backup the SQL databases using the regular SQL agent

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think this is a known issue & you are already attempting one of the workarounds by duplicating to disk...the other workaround is to backup the SQL databases using the regular SQL agent

tcaswell
Level 2

Not the best news, but better to hear this then keep wracking my brain on fixing something that's unfixable :) thank you VJware.