cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Status "Ready; specified destination device pool on local media pool.."

Vince_Osborne
Level 3
Jobs associated with slot #1 do not run and report a job status of "Ready; specified destination device pool on local media server is empty" in the Job Monitor. In the Devices window the slot does pick up the correct media and new media has been loaded for testing. All other jobs to the other nine slots of the library work fine.

Running:
B/U Exec v.10
Windows 2000 Server
10 REPLIES 10

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the Overwrite protection period and append period with the help of the technote below:

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period" :
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Vince_Osborne
Level 3
Checking overwrite and append was done before swapping out original media with new media...same problem persists with new media.

I should also add that I did a restart of the media server service which also had no affect.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Perform the inventory before using the new media and verify the result.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Vince_Osborne
Level 3
Here are the exact steps I did starting from the beginning:
1) tried rescheduling the failed jobs - same result w/ message "ready; destination device...blah blah" that I have already noted
2) did an inventory to ensure the correct tape was in the slot #1 - inventory runs successfully and reports correct tape in slot #1
3) restarted the b/u exec services - no change in B/U exec
4) reassociated job with a different slot - job rescheduled itself with no errors
5) tried replacing media with new media
i) did an inventory on slot #1 - picked up "blank media"
ii) could not label media because the option is greyed out
iii) could not format media - reports same job status message of "ready; destination device...blah blah" that I have already noted.
6) I'm now back to original media and have run another successful inventory

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check in the slot properties whether the slot has been marked as a cleaning slot.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Vince_Osborne
Level 3
Checked this, slot properties are not set to cleaning.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Vince,

Have you created partitions? If no then create partitions esle modify them so as to have just the first slot in one partition and then target the job to this partition.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262055
Verify what happens and revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Vince_Osborne
Level 3
The problem was that the device pool had lost its association with the device. You can check this with "devices" by expanding the "device pools" and checking the details of the particular device pool - in my case the device pool for slot #1. The device pool for slot #1 had no device associated with it.

I resolved the problem by associating the device pool specified for slot #1 with the drive (device).
- In Devices expand Device Pools
- R-click on the device pool for slot #1
- Select "add device" (it will error if there already is a device associated)
- Check the box next to the device you want associated with the device pool for the slot

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for that information and glad the problem is resolved. Do you suppose we can now assume the thread as answered.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Vince_Osborne
Level 3
close it.