cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO4 Hardware Encryption with Backup Exec 12

Fischer
Level 4
    Hi All,

I have a Dell TL2000 lto 4 library and I am running backup exec 12 for windows.  I have hardware encryption enabled on the drive, but I have not put in the ip address of an ekm.  It is my impression that you do not need an ekm when you run v12.  The problem is that I can find no documentation or information on how to setup the library for symantec's hardware encryption.  When I look at my drive in devices it says encryption: no, and none of my backup jobs with hardware encryption are working.  They keep failing and say that there is no drive with encryption available.  If someone could point me to documentation or tell me how to configure the library, that would be great,  Thanks

Message Edited by Fischer on 04-03-2008 09:38 AM
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What drives are in the library?

To use hardware encryption, the drives must be T10 compatible

Also see the Encryption best practices at

Fischer
Level 4
Thanks for the reply

I've already checked the compatibility matrix and it lists my library.  I've also setup encryption keys.  The problem is that dell usually uses an encryption key manager software for hardware encryption, and everything I've seen from symantec says that's not necessary.  So, there are options on the library/drive to set an ekm ip address, right now that is blank, cause I can't find any documentation that's worth anything from symantec for this encryption...

michael_massey
Level 2
Did you ever find a solution for this ... I wonder if symantec will ping you back to post it.

michael_massey
Level 2
and I am using 12.5 and have the same errors I have gold support but it is a plan to give them a call.

maqjack
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi! 

Even i have the same issue it is not backup the data with  NDMP Backup with encryption is not working

The tape library is connected through the FC to the EMC Celerra & the backup exec software is installed on the Windows 2008 Server.

As per the document it says that it supports for only devices with T10 HW Standards.

Can any on say the above mentioned deivce supports T10 HW Standard

I would appreciate if any ones help