cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Insert - BE don't use the whole pool specified

J_A_Manoukhin
Not applicable

Hello

In my BE 2010 with IBM tape device attached I have a strange problem.

How it was:

I had a large backup set (6 Tb) installed by my predecessors (i don't know, how they did it). It spanned to number of tapes of 745 usage capacity. The device poll is enough for 2,5 of that large backup, so I'm in no worry. But since it was too large, it took almost 50 hrs to complete, preventing other tasks to start. So I decided to split it to smaller backup sets and distribute them evenly for a week.

What I did:

I created 3 backup sets about 2 Tb in size, so it will took about 3 tapes. I set them on the same device and same pool I used earlier (IBM 0002). I erased all the tapes in the pool and checked they are all available. Then I started one of the backups (not all of them).

What happened

It starts, writes one tape completely and asks for available media, saying:

"Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media."

As you can see on the included pic, there ARE more media to write, so I think it just don't span to another tape, and I don't know, why. (That's a question.)

Note: when backup starts, it uses IBM 0001 instead of IBM 0002, just moves one of the tapes to IBM 0001 included into IBM 0002, writes to it, then moves it back.

Any help, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

AS seen from the screenshot all the Medias are Overwrite Protected. Meaning that when the job spans from one tape to another it will not write the data to it as the tapes are not Overwritable. You need to have the next tape as always overwritable.

AS you have erased all tapes what you can do it move the tapes to Scratch Media set. Then job will pick up the next tape that is available.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

AS seen from the screenshot all the Medias are Overwrite Protected. Meaning that when the job spans from one tape to another it will not write the data to it as the tapes are not Overwritable. You need to have the next tape as always overwritable.

AS you have erased all tapes what you can do it move the tapes to Scratch Media set. Then job will pick up the next tape that is available.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE will use appendable media only to start the job. Once that media is full then BE need Overwritable media to continue the job. Appendable media cannot be used to span. None of the medias visible in the attached image are overwritable. That is the reason BE is asking for overwritable media.