Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing Problem

Sean_Rivera
Level 2

Hi Guys,

Good day!

Just want to ask about the licensing of Backup Exec 2012.

Last year we purchase 1 Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Server, 1 Symantec Desktop Laptop Option, 1 Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Application and Database and 3 Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Agents for Windows.

Because I'm new here in the company and they didn't properly turnover the licensing of Backup Exec.

I'm wondering why I cannot see the licenses that we purchase last year in the View License Information.

Can you give me an explanation and details about my screenshot of our licenses.

Plus why there is a Maintenance in the product description? Is my licenses is for support only?

Hope you can help me to fix this licenses.

Thanks and more power in advance!

Godbless.

Sean

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If the licence is not installed in the media server, then your cannot see them on the console. The actual product licences are different from the maintenance licences. From your screenshot, you have only the licence for the core BE and some Windows agents, but you do not have any Agent for Applications and Databases licences for backing up applications and databases. The last three entries are maintenance licences. If you do not have the paper licences to install them in BE then contact Symantec Licencing to get them.

Sean_Rivera
Level 2

Hi Pkh,

Thank you for the reply!

Anyway what is the use of maintenance licenses?

And what about the license for core BE? Is it expirable? Do I need to purchase a new licenses for core BE and Windows Agents?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

Sean

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The core BE and Windows agent licences do not expire, but the maintenance licences do. This is why you input the maintenance licences in BE, so that you can be reminded when the they expire

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Anyway what is the use of maintenance licenses?

Maintenance licenses provides access to technical support and upgrades as well during the validity of the license period.

Sean_Rivera
Level 2

Hi VJware,

Thanks for the reply!

So it means that I don't have an actual license for Application and Database?

Is that what I'm lacking?

Regards,

Sean

Sean_Rivera
Level 2

Hi Pkh,

So it means that I don't need to purchase a new licenses for core BE and Windows agent? I just renew only is the Maintenance licenses?

Regards,

Sean

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per the screenshot, the Agent for Applications & Database product license is not installed, however the maintenance for the same agent is installed. Highly possible, you already have the product (actual) license, but it hasn't been entered yet.

Best to check the licensing portal or contact the licensing team to obtain this product license.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  You only need to renew the maintenance licences, so that you can open support cases with Symantec and get free upgrade to the latest version of BE.