cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local install of remote agent - but what about license number ???

Frank_Workman
Level 3
Hi folks,

Referring to Backup Exec documents 255826 and 258982, one can manually install a remote agent by copying the RANT32 folder to the remote server, then running the "setupaa.cmd" program. That's what I just did, and it *seems* to have worked. I did this because when I tried to rollout the remote agent via the media server's BE console I got the "The RPC service is unavailable" response.

Here's my question: how can this really work when I was never prompted to enter a remote agent license number?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The license/serial is only maintained on the media server, it is not copied or loaded to the remote server

Frank_Workman
Level 3
>> The license/serial is only maintained on the media server, it is not copied or loaded to the remote server <<

I know that, but I never had to enter a license number at the media server for this particular remote server's remote agent installation. Neither at the remote server nor at the media server has ANY license been entered for the this remote server's remote agent.

If, at the media server, I go into Tools/Serial Numbers and Installation, start the installation process and check the list of remote agent serial numbers, I see the very same numbers that I had before I started this latest remote agent installation - i.e there are no new serial numbers present (and yet the new remote agent *appears* to be working)

???

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Here's a nasty little secret -

Once a valid RemoteAgent serial has been entered, ANY remote agent can be accessed by the server. But you still need the correct number of serials for all your remote machines to be legal.

The reason for this is that your RemoteAgent is NOT required to be backed up by a particular media server. At one point back in the v7.3/v8.0 days, I had 9 standalone DLT7000s backing up my network. I could backup any one of my 35 NT servers from any one of my media servers - legally.

Frank_Workman
Level 3
>> Here's a nasty little secret ... <<

Thanks Ken! I suspected as much, but I wanted to hear it from someone more experienced than myself.