cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Data <Unknown Media>

james_furniss
Level 2
While backing up local files from this server to a tape drive, the backup job failed with this error : 'e00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.' Since this error, all tape AIT media with data from this server and other servers have become making it un-usable.

Anyone with any ideas why this would happen and in the event of this server crashing in an un-recoverable state could this happen again as a lot of essential data could be lost!
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If all previously used tapes are now "Unknown Media", I would suspect that the drive itself has gone bad.

Do you have any Manufacturer diagnostics that you can run against it?

Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
It could be the drive. It also could be a corrupt media database. If all the tapes have gone to "Unknown media " only after a backup/restore/inventory operation acted upon them, then I would suspect the tape drive. If, they all indicate "Unknown Media" without any tape drive action, then I would suspect the media database.
Search the knowledge base for using the BEUtility.exe tool to restore the database from the BEDB.bak file .

james_furniss
Level 2
Thanks for the reply. Before this occurred, a tape became stuck in the tape drive while a backup was in progress. We had to restart the server to remove the tape. Since this restart, the tape drive has worked fine (except for the unknown media) and has allowed me to rename all the tape media. Am I correct in thinking that if this were to happen again it would be a problem with the tape drive and not the data on the tape media?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

That is possible. If this happens again, also check for error messages in the Windows event logs.
Also ensure that you are using the lastest build for 10.0 ---5520. If not, download it from the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

In case you have any more queries on this, revert to the forums.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.