cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Tail-Log backup

RLeon
   VIP   

Hi all,

Does Backup Exec 2010/2012 support backing up MS SQL Tail-Logs?

Here are some quick info about Tail-Logs:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179314

I understand that Backup Exec could do:
Restore full without recovery > Restore differential without recovery > Restore Transaction logs WITH recovery.

But can it also do this:
Backup Tail-Logs after SQL server crash > Restore full without recovery > Restore differential without recovery > Restore Transaction logs without recovery > Restore Tail-Logs WITH recovery.

(Little irrelevant info: Netbackup could do it.)

Thanks all,

RLeon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE explicitly does not offer the provision of tail-log backups...(I don't think Netbackup offers this either...I think Netbackup too directs to the MS site for tail-log backups/restores)...

And if you want to perform a tail-log restore, then yes, the above steps would work just fine...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RLeon
   VIP   

...Or, am I supposed to:

Restore full without recovery > Restore differential without recovery > Restore Transaction logs without recovery > Tell the SQL admin to complete the recovery using the Tail-Logs

..?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE explicitly does not offer the provision of tail-log backups...(I don't think Netbackup offers this either...I think Netbackup too directs to the MS site for tail-log backups/restores)...

And if you want to perform a tail-log restore, then yes, the above steps would work just fine...

RLeon
   VIP   

Thanks for clarifying.
I guess it is only fair to let the SQL admin do half of the remaining work...

About Netbackup, I can assure you that it can backup and restore SQL Tail-Logs.
Please refer to the attached image, extracted from the Netbackup SQL Admin Guide.

Thanks again,

RLeon