cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Slot - How do we make it work

John_Boland
Level 3
We have an IBM 36232LX Autoloader unit. It has a Mail Slot.

When we submit a job to export or import one/many tapes BE puts up a message box asking to remove or insert the tape/s. We then have to either load up the web management console for this loader or go to the front panel and Manually perform the operation. I have seen other loaders automatically do this.

Is this normal behaviour? How can it be made to work. We bought this product for better integration and control of our backp needs. It is (so far) only a partial solution.
6 REPLIES 6

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

How many slots does the autoloader have? Can you give the exact message you get after performing export/import operation? Also check if you get any errors in the alerts tab. If so, do describe them.

Regards.

John_Boland
Level 3
Thankyou for your response.

> How many slots does the autoloader have?

8 internal and 1 import/export port. The import/Export slot is a sliding hatch. The 8 internal slots are on a rotating band. The band rotates to the correct slot and pushes the tape out the export slot. Reverse process for import.

> Can you give the exact message you get after performing export/import operation?

I go to the slots under devices. Right click on a slot with a tape in it and select Export. It creates a job which i leave all the defaults and click run now. Under job monitor there is a job running.

At this point an alert pops up.

The box title is "Media Request"
The category name is "Media intervention"
The icon is a big yellow ?
The message is "Please remove the media from the following slots: 1" (note I chose slot 1 for this job)

I click "OK" and the alert goes away and the job completes and the tape is still inside the autoloader.

If I want to remove the tape, I have to open the web management for the autoloader and tell it to export the tape (in this case, from slot 1). Once the tape is removed, I inventory the autoloader and exit the web interface and respond to the alert.

The job completes and all is well.

> Also check if you get any errors in the alerts tab. If so, do describe them.

No errors in the alerts tab.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
This is normal - BE is not able to put the tape into the mail portal on all loaders.

If you didn't run the import/export job, you would not be able to use the console.

John_Boland
Level 3
Thankyou for the update. What is the policy on supporting these devices?

This is functionality that I (and the vendor that sold us the autoloader and BE) would normally expect in a device of this type. Is this work in progress or just something that is not going to happen?

The device is listed in the HCL and there is no mention of the lack of support for the mail slot. Would it be possable to update the HCL to reflect this, or even have this functionality implemented?

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello,

We suggest that you launch an enhancement request on the following site.

<>

So in the future might expect this issue is taken care of.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived

John_Boland
Level 3
Thankyou for this option, I was not aware that it existed. I have now submitted feedback.