cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Alerts Backup Exec 10.0

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
I have set alerts to be automatically responded to YES (i.e., Media Overwrite). Did this through the BE Utility & at Alerts. Yet backup is still waiting for the alert to be acknowledged. What am I missing?
15 REPLIES 15

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
What alert is it stalling at?

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
Media Overwrite

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
And... Remove Media

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Rather than looking at alerts I think you should be looking at your media sets and the overwrite protection period, that should stop the alert from happening.

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
That sounded like a grand idea. So I checked and adjusted to allow for Overwrite. Yet I am still getting the prompt.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
After ou adjust the overwrite try re-labelling a tape

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
That did the trick. Thank you very much!

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
Let me modify that... I did not need to respond to loading the media any more, but I did when it finished. Alert for removing the media. Again, I set this to clear and it's not listening!

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Are you spanning a backup over multiple tapes on a single drive?

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
No

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Can you briefly explain what hardware you are using

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
Tape drive is HP DLT VS160 on a win 2003 server. Device is cabled to a Dell 2850 server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AutoResponse in v10x has been flakey since the get-go.

Some have never gotten it to work at all, some seem to have intermittent luck. (and we never hear about the ones that have no problems at all :) )

Atique_Qureshi
Level 4
> I have set alerts to be automatically responded to
> YES (i.e., Media Overwrite). Did this through the BE
> Utility & at Alerts. Yet backup is still waiting for
> the alert to be acknowledged. What am I missing?

Hi Maria,

Just to add to what Ken talked about.

Media remove is an alert which cannot be taken care of from Backup Exec perspective because some devices will pop up an alert every time there is a media eject operation.

Please check the document

http://support.veritas.com/docs/252430

Cause:
1.Some Devices doesn't support Backup Exec command to eject the tape even though the option to eject tape after job completes is selected. For devices that supports this command make sure "Automatic Response" to media alerts is configured.

You can get in touch with me on mail : aatiquequreshi@walla.com

Atique Qureshi
VCP, MCSE

Maria_Joyal
Level 3
I can live with the alert to pop the tape once the backup is done. I'm not crazy about the alert for the overwrite. This means someone has to be paying attention whenever a backup process is requested. That's just nuts.