cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media cannot be cataloged

Media_couldn_t_
Level 3

Greetings

I recently rebuilt my backup server.  I have Windows 2003.  The version i made backups before was 11 after 11d and the actual version of Backup Exec is 12.  Now I need to do a restore from a tape that I created before the rebuild.  I've imported the media and run catalog media several times.  The job aapparentely ways ends successfully, and each tape is about 500 GB But when I go to the restore tab, the tape does not appear in the list of media.  If I right-click on the tape on the media tab and select restore data, I get a message that says the media must be cataloged.

If you can help me i really appreciate it.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can try this

Shut down all backup exec services

rename the catalogs folder (to catalogs.sav for example)

restart the services (the catalogs folder will be recreated)

inventory the tape

catalog it

restore

(remember to rename the prodcution catalog back)

Media_couldn_t_
Level 3

Thanks Ken but i did that already and didn't work.

after that when i start to make catalog it show me like i have 6 T of information means it's impossible 6T in one tape, and only i have 500 GB and anyway didn't show catalog.

I was thinking to go back with version 11D to see what happen.

Media_couldn_t_
Level 3

I deleted version 12 and I reinstalled version 11d and apparentely it's works, the catalog was done but when i try to see the contents in the tape i have nothing, if i go VIEW BY RESOURCE i have all my servers but nothing inside and if i go VIEW BY MEDIA i don't have any tape and in the JOB HISTORY the catalog was done with 450 GB of information but i cannot see it.

what's the problem now....

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Did your original backup fit on a single tape? There's no chance it could be spanned across 2 tapes?

frabel
Not applicable

I have a similar problem with backup exec 11D. I get that same error with some media, but I also get this one with several tapes:

Catalog 00334 -- The job failed with the following error: The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

I am using media created with a previous version; it won't let me catalog after making the inventory.

Media_couldn_t_
Level 3

No is only one tape, but anyway this weekend i reinstalled everything, OS, Backup, drivers, all stuff and it's works fine. I installed version 11D, i think some problems with version 12.

Thanks