cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media set

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

I am testing our new Tape library, that has 16 media in it, in our first test I did create a job and running it  and went ok, when we ren that test job I findout that the tape is belong to an media set that should protect the media for 4 weeks, becuse I dont want to use any othere tape for testing I did create a new madia set that protect data for just one hour and then move the first media (with 4 weeks data protection) to this new media set, after that I create a new backup job that should use a media from media set that has one hour data protection, but when say run the job it says the job Qeues, is this means I sahould wait for one hour before that media can be use for writing? or can I just move the media from the 4 week media set to the 1 hour media set?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

I want to let you know that my problem is solved,

I did contected the Dell and they send me an update for the SAS card and now we can use our Device with barcode and BE,

So thank you all for the help.

Shahin

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41

tech29
Level 6

You should be able to move the data from 4 Week media set to 1 hour media set.

Regards,

Tech29

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you moved the media into a mediaset with one hour protection, it will get those settings. Have you configured any append priod with that media set? With append period None you have to wait for one hour fot BE to use that media. 

Don't move media into media sets manually. BE will do that when required.

Regards...

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes you may move the media to other media set or to the scratch media set.

When the tape is moved to any media set it inherits the properties of that media set.

EDIT: You may also append the tape by setting the right append period in the media set.

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks for your replay,

so this means I should wait for one hour before I can write the data to the tape? that is why it qeue the backup job?

Thanks

tech29
Level 6

You don't need to wait for  1 hour if you move the tape to scratch tape.

Regards,

tech29

AmolB

In the device tab check the overwrite protection time for the tape in question.

If you want to immediately use the tape move it to the scratch media set.

The tape will be picked for the backup and the data will get overwritten.

Shahin123
Level 6

I did move the tape to the scratch page (there I can see other 14 tapes), but when run the job still it says queued the job? when moving the tape to the scratch page and create a new back job how can I tell to back job that use exactly that moved tape and not a new one?

Thanks

AmolB

Check the alerts tab for any active alerts waiting for your response.

In the backup job window what option you have selected "when this job begin" 

You need to create a partition in the library to make a job select specific media.

Shahin123
Level 6

I did move the media in question to the scratch page and now when check the media protection until: over writebale (scratch media) but still the job is queued!! I also can see in the device tab under media protection untill the appendebal untill: not appendeble.

any idea why the job still is queued!!??

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You could partition the loader and direct the job to the appropriate partition

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can't say BE to use one particular media to run a backup job. Only way to do this is by partitioning robotic library and targetting jobs at those partitions. 

Regards.....

EDIT: I am again late here.. Amol yes

Shahin123
Level 6

hi,

I did move the in question tape to the scratch page (there I can see 14 tape), reove the first backup job, create new one and there I choose the only media pool there is and then foe media set I choose one that I creatred for one hour, and then run the job but know the job get queued and get this:

Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Shahin

Shahin123
Level 6

option:

Append media, over write if no appendeble media is avilable

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think you haven't assigned the media to SCRATCH. Right click on he media and click on Assign to media set and select SCRATCH from drop down menu. After that try the backup job.

Regards...

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

I am sure the media is in the SCRATCH, becuse when I go to the media tabe and then online media there I can see that Media set is: SCRATCH

Shahin123
Level 6

I send you 2 screenshots of the BE maybe you can see something there

tech29
Level 6

as per the screenshot the media is not in the library.. Please check if it got ejected by any chance. Please re-insert the media and try again.

Regards,

tech29

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just for a test you can try this...

Configure a media set TEST with 1 hour OPP and 1 or 2 hours append period.

Then you maually move one media into media set TEST.

Create a job, select the tape library as device and select TEST as media set. 

Job should start as Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available.

Note: It is not recommended to move media manually into media sets. But just for testing i am asking you to try this.

Thanks....

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Media is listed under online media. Which means media present inside the library.