cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media set

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

I am testing our new Tape library, that has 16 media in it, in our first test I did create a job and running it  and went ok, when we ren that test job I findout that the tape is belong to an media set that should protect the media for 4 weeks, becuse I dont want to use any othere tape for testing I did create a new madia set that protect data for just one hour and then move the first media (with 4 weeks data protection) to this new media set, after that I create a new backup job that should use a media from media set that has one hour data protection, but when say run the job it says the job Qeues, is this means I sahould wait for one hour before that media can be use for writing? or can I just move the media from the 4 week media set to the 1 hour media set?

Thanks

41 REPLIES 41

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Restart all the BE services. In the BE console in the devices tab, right click on the server and then 

select PAUSE wait for 30 seconds then uncheck the PAUSE option.

Shahin123
Level 6

WE have an media set that isvfor one hour, I did create a new job and then run it, but when do so I get this message in the screenshor.

Let me also add this, before this issue we did change the logon service account from domain\Administrator to the local system account and after 2 days put id back again is it was and restart the services, could this has something to do with our problem?

AmolB

Credentials will not put the job in queued status. Open Beutility.exe and check the status of the 

server(it will be either paused or running)

Shahin123
Level 6

it says running

AmolB

Are you able to run an inventory.

Shahin123
Level 6

I did run it on the device but it give this error:

Final error: 0xe000e005 - The job has reported multiple errors. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Backup Device ErrorsCompleted status: Failed

also says this for all of the medias (I think)

e000821e - Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library.

AmolB

What is the make and model of the device?

Shahin123
Level 6

It is a Dell 124T LTO-5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Which type of media you are trying to use with this drive/library?

An LTO-5 drive can read/write to LTO5 & LTO4 media and can read LTO3 media. So for backups, you can only use either LTO5 or LTO 4 media.

You can restore from an LTO3 media using LTO5 drive.

Regards.......

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your repaly,

We are using the LTO-5 tapes, what I dont get is, this device has worked for the testing purposes, but I think since I put the barcode labels on the tape and fillup the device we have this issue. I also try to run the inventory from the BE software and I get this error:

e000e005 - The job has reported multiple errors. See the job log for details.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you can, please post the job log here..

Thanks....... 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you use barcode labels, make sure that the barcode labels conform to the drive's manufacturer's specification.  For example, if you are using a HP library, then your barcode label needs to be in the format xxxxxxL5 for LTO5 tapes, where xxxxxx are 6 alphanumeric characters.

Also, right-click on the tape drive and check the Use Barcode Rules option.

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks for your replay,

we have an It is a Dell 124T LTO-5, and the barcode labels are from dell herself and they are in this format:

000001L5

Shahin123
Level 6

I sent you  an screenshoot of the log see the attechment,

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer to this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56516

Hope this helps..

Regards..........

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Kiran,

I did contect the Dell support and they dont understand one thing, there is an artical that says our error has something to do with the barcode:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH89508

if we follow this artical and go to the location in the artical I cannot see the LTO-05 in the list.

any idea whywe cannot see the LTO-05 in this list?

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi OKH,

Thanks for the replay,

But why can't I see the LTO-5 in the list? is this means that BE 2010 R2 does not recognize the Barcode of the Dell PV-124T library?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The barcode rule that comes with BE is not meant to be comprehensive.  It is just a sample.  You can go to Tools --> Options ---> Barcode rules and add in the L5 for LTO5.  You can set up your own rules according to the requirements of your library manufacturer.  You would notice that depending on the manufacturer, there are different ways to identify the media.  Some manufacturer use the prefix while others use the suffix.

As for your problem, after you have loaded the tapes, you right-clock on the slots and select scan.  This will tell BE which tape is in which slot.  You should do a scan after you have set up the rule for LTO5 tapes.

If they are new tapes, you might want to right-click on the slots and do an erase on the tape.  After the erase is successful, you should be able to use them without problems.

Shahin123
Level 6

So if I undersatnd you correctly,if we cannot see the LTO-05 in the list of the barcode!! we just can go ahead and create a new rule and choose the L5  for LTO-05! but I cannot find the L5 as wel!!

Thanks

Colin_Weaver

bear in mind you only need to configure Barcode rules if your library contains multiple tape drive types (for instance LTO3 and LTO5) and multiple tape types and you want to make sure that the system won't try and use an LTO5 Tape in the LTO3 drive.

If all the drives in your library are one type (i.e. all LTO-5) then barcode rules are not needed.