cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Backup Exec 12.5 to New Server

MGregM
Level 3

I have an older server that is running on upgraded version of BE 12.5. This server is running Windows 2003 server.

I wante to migrate the history and jobs to new server, fresh install of 12.5. This server is running Windows 2008 server.

I have been following the TECH67768 article but have run across a couple of issues.

At step 5 when you are to rename the DataPartition name for the Backup Exec Database that was copied.

Use BEDB <ENTER>

Go <ENTER>

I received the following error : The service broker in database "BEDB" will be disabled because the Service broker GUID in the database (...) done not match the one in sys.databases (...)

After trying this step again, I no longer receive this error but receive the following: The server principal (...) is not able to access the database under the current security

I have read where performing a backup of the BEDB database using SSMS would help resolve the issue with this but have not been able to get that to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MGregM
Level 3

Here is the process that worked for me.....It's a combination of the Symantec migration procedures and Amol's recommendation..

1. Stop the backup exec services on the old server.

2. Stopped the MSSQL instance running on old server.

3. Copied folders, Catalog, Data, and IDR, with an exclusion of the temp files in Data folder, to the new server at a temp location.

4. Installed Backup Exec on new server but did NOT open console. I stop the backup exec services and MSSQL on new server.

5. Copied Data, IDR and Catalog from temp location to new install location.

6. Started  BEUtility and performed a copy database from the temp location of the database.

This should now  have all your old history and jobs and be able to run on new server.

Hope this helps anyone that needs it

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Try copy database to migrate same version of BE. Refer to the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757

You will have to manually replace the existing catalogs folder with the old folder.

MGregM
Level 3

For TECH49757

Does the Backup Exec services and SQLServer need to be stopped on both the old and new servers?

MGregM
Level 3

And I have the same version of 12.5 installed on both servers.

Copy data from specified database files.
Failed to access the registry keys of selected server <servername> to get the Backup Exec version numbers.
The operation to change the location of the Backup Exec database to SQL Server instance <servername> ended with errors. Current version of Backup Exec must be installed on the media server to perform this operation.

AmolB

On the old server stop the SQL service and then copy the MDF & LDF files.

On the new server paste the above files on the desktop and perform copy database

without stopping the SQL servcie.

Note: On the new server Stop the SQL service and do take a backup of the data folder

to be on a safer side.

MGregM
Level 3

Here is the process that worked for me.....It's a combination of the Symantec migration procedures and Amol's recommendation..

1. Stop the backup exec services on the old server.

2. Stopped the MSSQL instance running on old server.

3. Copied folders, Catalog, Data, and IDR, with an exclusion of the temp files in Data folder, to the new server at a temp location.

4. Installed Backup Exec on new server but did NOT open console. I stop the backup exec services and MSSQL on new server.

5. Copied Data, IDR and Catalog from temp location to new install location.

6. Started  BEUtility and performed a copy database from the temp location of the database.

This should now  have all your old history and jobs and be able to run on new server.

Hope this helps anyone that needs it

AmolB

Please mark the post as solution which helped you to fix the issue.