cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup is dead slow...

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
 well I am using backupexec 12.0 for many days now. Recently we have installed NetApp filer and NDMP options for backupexec.

We have tape drive directly attached to NetApp filer. 

But the problem is backup is extremely slow. Even LAN based backup is having good rate than this local NDMP backup.

Any clue on this ...

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
as far as I know NetApp does not have any settings as such except enabling / disabling NDMP.

One more thing NetApp NAS has snapshot feature which allows end users to access the snapshots and retrieve their files on their own....  these snapshots are accessible through the .snapshot directory on the root of the volume / share.

Just make sure you have excluded that folder from selection.

This folder is nothing but the pointers to the old data.

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
as far as I know NetApp does not have any settings as such except enabling / disabling NDMP.

One more thing NetApp NAS has snapshot feature which allows end users to access the snapshots and retrieve their files on their own....  these snapshots are accessible through the .snapshot directory on the root of the volume / share.

Just make sure you have excluded that folder from selection.

This folder is nothing but the pointers to the old data.

Hope it helps

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... is that NDMP has a low priority for resources when compared to 'normal' user transactions or NFS requests. Therefore, if your backup is running when the filer is busy then it may not get the resources necessary to run at the higher rate that you are expecting.

Try scheduling the job for when there is little activity on the filer & see if this has any effect.

teiva-boy
Level 6
I wonder if BackupExec 12.5, and a remote NDMP backup would be faster?

This way you backing up through the Gb LAN into the media server which is writing to the tape.  This may improve performance, also giving you a drive back for other backup jobs...