cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with restoring files in Backup Exec 12.5 over windows 2003

fjgaspar
Level 2
Hi,

I'm having strange problems when trying to restore a file from backup. Let me explain the scenario.

I have an HP Robot (LTO2) with eight slots. I put the following tapes in each slot:

Slot 1: Monday differencial backup.
Slot 2: Tuesday differencial backup.
Slot 3: Wednesday differencial backup.
Slot 4: Thursday diferencial backup.
Slot 5: Friday full backup.
Slot 6: Monthly full backup (at this moment, October tape is on the slot)
Slot 7: Empty
Slot 8: Cleaning cartidge.

Today, one user has asked me for restoring a file. This file, is only in October full backup. So I try different ways of restoring that file, all of them with the same result. The things that I try are:

- Create a restore task with the wizard. I search in the catalog where is the file that I want to restore, and execute the task inmediately.
- Going to the Devices tab, I select the october tape, and select the 'restore data' option. When I do that, a message appears: 'No catalog has been found in the selected media'. You must first catalog media if you want to use it in restore operations'. I accept the message (no other option avaliable) and I can select the file I want to restore in the 'see by media' tab, exploring the October tape.
- Going to Media tab, right clicking October tape, and navigating to the desired file, selecting it and pressing Execute Now.

No matter how I do that, the result is always the same: the system ask me to insert the October tape in the slot, Import it with an import media tape, and if there's no barcode, marking the 'inventory when finished'. As there's no bar code, I mark that option. The task completes successfully, the restore task enters in queue status, and all the time the system ask me for insert the october tape, and import it and inventory it. All the time. The thing is that the tape is inserted, and imported and inventoried, but the restore task never begins.

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong or how to manage to do the restore task?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

How far back do you want to restore from, and have you cataloged that tape?
Have you tried duplicating that to disk before restoring?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

fjgaspar
Level 2
Thanks for your answer.

First, the file that I want to restore is only in the full copy done 7th November, corresponding to the October monthly backup.

Second, I am not trying to resore mailboxes from Exchange. I am just trying to restore one file.

And yes, I have cataloged that tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you are creating your restore job, you should select the file to be restored from the View by Resources tab.  From that tab, you can see the servers(s) that you have backed up. Drill down to the drive and BE should give you the different versions that are in the catalog.  Expand the version which correspond with your October tape and then select the file.  Redirect the file if need be.

When the job is submitted, BE will automatically select the October tape to process.

You do not need to go to the Devices tab, click on the October tape and restore data.  This is another process altogether.

If this solves your problem, please mark it as the solution.