cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never Ending Restores After Upgrade to 11d UNLESS Redirection is Used

Ben_Lentz
Level 3
We are finding that our restores are painfully slow after upgrading to 11d. Our backups are running at the same speed they were before the upgrade.

It appears that the tape unit is just seeking forever and ever. If we choose to redirect the files to another location instead of restoring them to the original, things move faster.

To qualify "slow" and "fast", I've run the same job twice, restoring a 34MB Access database; once with redirection off and it didn't write anything after 3.5 hours (I had to cancel it before it tied up our tape unit for so long that it started impacting our nightly backups); and again with redirection on and it finished the job successfully in 37 minutes. I've tried re-creating the job, restoring files on different file servers, and the behavour is consistent.

I am trying to see if Preserve Tree has anything to do with it, but so far it doesn't appear that it does.

Has anyone else seen this one? What could be causing the tape unit to seek/read endlessly for no apparent reason?

I've read http://support.veritas.com/docs/287309 and got a chuckle out of the "Note:  This issue is not data threatening.  The data can be restored it just takes longer than expected." and "Let the restore read through all of the media and complete normally. This will add time to the restore but it will finish."

Really? Why is a 3+ hour restore for a 34MB file acceptable with a solution of "It's fine, just wait it out."
4 REPLIES 4

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Ben,

Hotfix 13 corrected this issue:

I would recommend running liveupdate to install of the the hotfixes that have been released.

Patty

Ben_Lentz
Level 3
Okay, I've applied all available hotfixes through liveupdate. The Help, About Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers, Installed Updates button shows that Hot Fix 13 has been installed.

The messages I got back from the liveupdate installation process say that the updates require a reboot. So, I've rebooted the system.

I did another 34MB restore. An hour later, the tape unit was still in a Reading... state, and no bytes had been processed. I could've let it run longer, but our restores used to start processing a byte count within 5 - 10 minutes of the job starting when we had Veritas Backup Exec 9.1.

So, Hot Fix 13 didn't do anything for me. What else can I try?

Steven_Gear
Level 3
Ben,

Make sure that you also redeployed the agents after applying all hotfixes to the BE11d product.  Also, before you do this you might want to go ahead and upgrade to the latest build of BE 11d from the Symantec Website.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Ben_Lentz
Level 3
How do I redeploy the agents? What version should I expect to see?

As I reported in another post, we're now having problems backing up Exchange, so I'm weary of trying a new build. Not to mention that our restores are still slow, I don't want to introduce more problems by upgrading again.