cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightly Backup Speeds

videodrone83
Level 3
Hello we are using the latest BE Server 12.5 and conjunction with 5 or so Agents. This is also being used with an LT02 drive. We backup a total of 480gb in data between actual documents/SQL databases/system state backups once a week. The time it takes this backup averages about 16-18 hrs to complete and runs at 420-550mb/min. I am wondering if this sounds like a correct time that it should take? Does the speed sound correct? We are also using a Dell 124T autoloader
5 REPLIES 5

videodrone83
Level 3
oh and we are also doing these backups non compressed. I figured compression would take even longer?

Panthro
Level 2
I gave my backups an extra 1GB/min by switching off the open file agent and ignoring PST and DB files.  I now backup PST and DB files at weekends separately, as time is less of an issue.

You may want to do the same.   The open file agent is a waste of time and money.

videodrone83
Level 3
Open File Agent? Do you mean the Advanced Open File option or the Remote Agent Utility?

MitchR
Level 6

Do try turning compressoin on.  It frequently leads to faster speeds.  most clients & servers have excess CPU capacity, which will ease up the amount of data going through the rest of the system.   Backing up to tape usually shows performance gains when compression is on.

Likewise, encryption will slow down backups a little bit.  Not much, but something to be aware of.

Without knowing your specific environment, those speeds seem reasonable. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Word to the wise: don't use AOFO with SQL. It prevents server redirections when trying to restore to another server.
You can also make sure it's running at a time when no antivirus scans are running, or SQL maintenance jobs. Switch speeds also have a big impact, as well as hard-coding of switch ports and NICs on servers.