Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No media in storage device

Greg_Clifton
Level 2
BUE 11.d Hot Fix 6, 9, and 10
Windows Server 2003 R2 32 bit
Exabyte VXA PacketLoader 1x10 VXA-3 (A10D library firmware & 3204 drive firmware)

I am getting the following error on every scheduled backup at night:
Final error: 0xe00084e9 - No media in storage device.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34025
The backup generally completes 8-9GB�s out of a total of ~50GB and then reports this error.

I have completed and verified EVERY suggestion on the link regarding the error. I have searched for additional answers and find very little pertaining to the problem. I even installed a brand new SCSI controller during the troubleshooting process. Nothing has helped.

I come in each morning and power cycle the 1x10 PacketLoader and the BUE Server hardware and can manually run the backup job with absolutely no problems during production hours. However, every nightly scheduled job fails with the error posted above. This setup does me little good if I cannot schedule backups.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks for your time and input. I sold the organization on this backup solution and now I cannot make it work.

Backup Job consists of the following:
SuSE Linux 9.1 Servers (2)
Novell NetWare 6.1 (1)
Windows 2k SP4 Server (1)
Windows Server 2003 R2 Servers (1)
Windows Server 2003 MetaFrame XP (2)
8 REPLIES 8

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It sounds like there is something occurring in the evenings that is causing a timeout that doesn't happen during the day. I would first look and see what else may be taking place on the server at the same time as the backup operations. You may want to use Performance Monitor to capture system resource statistics to see if the server is being overwhelmed at night.

Here is a technote that can help to locate hardware problems that may not be immediately detectable.
Document ID: 255501
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501
How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x

Here is another technote that is specific to the UMI code you mentioned.
Document ID: 281170
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281170
Error : 0xe00084e9 - No media in storage device for additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34025

You may want to test with a Backup-to-Disk folder instead of your library to eliminate it as a source of the problem. If B2D is successful at night than you will have limited the scope of the problem to the backup device explicitly.

R_H_2
Level 5
Upgrade your drive firmware and try quick erasing the tapes before your job (at least temporarily).

You might also want to try removing the media overwrite protection temporarily (if you have any) to see if that helps.

Greg_Clifton
Level 2
I have been running the BU's each morning manually at 6a. They always work.

I did install the latest firmware for the Ethernet and the autoloader and then bounced the hardware. I will try a scheduled BU tonight and see what happens.

R_H_2
Level 5
You should really do the drive's firmware too. You will need:

VXA Tool for Windows:
ftp://ftp.exabyte.com/pub/tools/vxa/VXATool_WIN_V2.45.zip

VXA-320 firmware:
ftp://ftp.exabyte.com/pub/firmware/vxa/VXA320_V13206.zip

Greg_Clifton
Level 2
^^
I installed the latest firmware this morning and will try a scheduled backup tonight.

John_G_
Not applicable
I am having this same issue. I have tried many different tapes, and still get the same error.  Only thing I noticed is that my tape drive has been getting extremely hot during the backup process and killing off some backup jobs.  My backup jobs will write 60GB out of 168GB before crashing.  My firmware is up to date and am successfully writing and restoring from the media.  I just started eliminating directories from the job setup. It's almost like my drive can write for so long before having issues w/ the heat.  I am using a VXA-320 internal tape drive.

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Minor point - do not mix Windows and Linux servers in the same backup job. Windows has the archive bit ans uses the "reset archive bit" backup method -whereas- Linux does not and requires the "modified time" method of backup.

b_austen
Not applicable
We´re having the same problem for about 3 or 4 months.
Windows Server 2003 R2 Sp2
Backup Exec 10D SP3
Exabyte VXA 3 Drive (FW V13208)
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller (latest drivers)

at night the job cancels with aprox 6-8 GB of 70 GB saved
same job at production hours, no probs.

looks like everyone who has this problem runs vxa3 on win 2003 R2
even if BE is 10d or 11d?
Is this right?

i´ve spoken to exabyte support and waiting for a call of 2nd level support
guy after escalating.

best regards
bjoern

Message Edited by b.austen on 08-07-200701:37 AM