cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Backup Exec Agents and Backup Exec 2014

pw99
Level 2

Hi

Does anyone know if I can backup data without having to push out the new BUE14 agent?

Scheduling has changed, its more confusing to setup jobs from previous versions!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 2014 can work with BE 12.5, 2010, 2010 R2, 2010 R3 and 2012 agents. However, this should be a temporary arrangement for rolling upgrade. You should always push out the BE 2014 agent. Otherwise, you will not get the enhancements brought by BE 2014

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

EDIT

Backup Exec Media server is backward compatible with BE Remote Agent 

So BE2012 agents will work with BE 2014 media server.

Refer to Pg# 11 of BE2014 SCL 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

Note: Symantec recommends that you should use BE Media Server and BE Remote Agent of the same version.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 2014 can work with BE 12.5, 2010, 2010 R2, 2010 R3 and 2012 agents. However, this should be a temporary arrangement for rolling upgrade. You should always push out the BE 2014 agent. Otherwise, you will not get the enhancements brought by BE 2014

pw99
Level 2

Thanks PKH - this was the default, amazing how a symantec personnel has a different answer from a techie!

Have templates been removed?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no more templates, but when you define a scheduled job you will get a full backup job and an incremental job automatically. You can add more incremental jobs if necessary. You can also add stages for duplication or conversion to virtual

Dave_Gray
Level 3

I'm moving from 2010 to 2014. I'm glad to know that 2014 will still backup servers with the 2010 agent installed. I will have a 2010 and a 2014 Backup Exec server running during my transition. When it comes time to finally update the agents from the 2010 version to the 2014 version, what is the proper way to do it? Do the old agents needs to be uninstalled first or can you just push the new 2014 version from the Backup Exec 2014 server and it will automatically update?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...love the reply laugh

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...please ensure that the OPs are given the ALL the correct information.

Thanks!