cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operating system mismatch when creating IDR in Backup Exec 2010

Locky
Level 2

I am having problem to create an IDR CD from Backup Exec 2010 Wizard for Windows 2008 Enterprise 64 Bit Edition.

Backup Exec always returns  a message saying operating system version does not match. If I tried to point to some location on the Windows 2008 DVD, Backup Exec returned a message: I386\setuptxt.sif could not be found in this location.

I have searched everwhere to no avail for this problem. If you have come across this problem before, it would be much appreciated if you could  let me know the solution or work around for this.

Thank you

Locky

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the 2008 Enterprise version on the CD, a match for the media server, or the server you backed up as it needs to match the server you backed up.

Locky
Level 2

Hi Colin,

Yes, O/S was installed from the same 2008 Enterprise 64 Bit CD. I pointed Backup Exec to the CD drive that has got the DVD in, it didn't work.

This is an Open Volume license DVD. But I don't think it makes any different. I have checked the folders on the 2008 DVD on other version. it also does not have the I386 folder or the txtsetup.sif file. It appears that Symantec should have a hotfix to address this issue. And I hope someone out there might have come across this and have a way to work around the problem.

Thank you

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I recall correctly, there was a previous case with a problem similiar to yours.  He uses a multi-lingual installation DVD and got the error.  When he switched to an English only DVD, the problem goes away.

Locky
Level 2

I appreciate for that piece of information. It could be the solution of my problem. Now I have to try and source the English only DVD which might be a bit hard in my working environment. Thanks a lot, pkh.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you should not be spending to much time on IDR.  It is one of those features that is slated to "retire soon", meaning it may not be included in the next release of BE.

Locky
Level 2

PKH

I am unable to source an English only DVD so I am unable to try out your suggestion at the moment. I just removed 2010 R3 and loaded Backup Exec 12.5 and hoped that would work. Unfortunately, it had the same error message.

Unfortunately, I need to find a way to test the server for a reliable disaster recovery before putting it in production. I know there are different products that could do that. Now that we have bought the license and the server has to be online next week. I don't have much time.   

pkh
   VIP    Certified

IDR just automates the DR process.  You can still recover the server manually by

1) Installing the OS and BE/BE agent.

2) restoring the C: drive

3) restoring the system state

4) reboot the restored server

5) restore your other data.

The first few steps are what the IDR process will do automatically.