cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection period & Apend period

owen1234
Level 3

I am new to Backup Exec. Need some help here.

Daily tape (Mon-Thurs)

8 tapes

Retention period = 2 weeks

Current settings OPP = 12 days, AP = Infinite allow append

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I configure the OPP and AP? I don't need to append data to the tape, as we have sufficient tape for daily backup.

Current settings doesn't seems to remove expired data (after 12 days OPP) automatically, which I wish it can.

Please help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are running more than one job per day to the same tape, you will need at least enough hours of append to allow each job to run, so assuming all of you jobs run comfortably overnight, I'd suggest something like 13 day OPP with maybe 10hour append period.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

When backup runs to tape and the OPP of a tape expires, the data on the tape will not 'expire' automatically. The tape becomes overwritable and when used for a backup job, the older data will be overwritten with the new one.

Lastly, do bear in mind, the OPP starts from the time BE has finished writing data to the tape (end of the backup job) and not at the beginning.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Here is an explanation on Append/OPP settings which will make things clear for you:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

Thanks!

owen1234
Level 3

Ok I think I got the idea.

In my case can I remain the OPP = 13 days , so the 14th day when i reuse the tape, it will overwrite the old data automatically.

Shall I also change the AP to something else, since I don't need data to be append? Instead of current setting Append Infinitely?

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

If you are running more than one job per day to the same tape, you will need at least enough hours of append to allow each job to run, so assuming all of you jobs run comfortably overnight, I'd suggest something like 13 day OPP with maybe 10hour append period.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Since you don't need to spend to the tape set your AP to 1 hour. Also in your job specify Overwrite and not the other two append options

owen1234
Level 3

Thanks for sharing.

owen1234
Level 3

Got it. Thanks.

owen1234
Level 3

We only have a single job(enough space to acommodate daily full backup) and a dedicated tape assign for each daily backup. so I think I will follow your recommendation of 13 days OPP and 10 hours append(or maybe less). Thanks for help.