cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PV 114X drive goes offline in Backup Exec 2010 if media is not overwritable

chris48
Level 4
Partner

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 to backup servers using B2D2T.  The tape drive is a Dell PowerVault 114X LTO5 drive (using the Backup Exec drivers) and  whenever the a tape is not overwritable, Backup Exec issues a Media Insert alert as expected but does not eject the tape and after a short amount of time the drive appears as offline under the devices tab and another alert is issued to state that the drive is offline.

I can only eject the tape and bring the drive online again after cancelling the job, restarting the Backup Exec services and then restarting the tape drive (the tape drive is connected by a SAS connection).

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Check the bottom of the adamm.log for info about why the device went offline in BE.  Feel free to post your adamm.log here.

Are you ejecting the tape via an "eject" job or by pressing the eject button on the front of the drive?

lmosla
Level 6

This seems like it might be a hardware problem with the tape drive, it shouldnt be going offline like this.  One thing to check is to Windows event logs for Event ID's 5, 7, 9, 11, or 15. Particularly Events 5 or 7 indicates a need to contact your hardware's manufacturer.

Please take a look at this link for more information on troubleshooting and solutions to common tape drive problems  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24414

Let me know if this helps,