cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protect backup tapes in 12.5

Madalina_Scarle
Level 3
I have recently upgraded my server from version 11 to 12.5.
In version 11 there was an option to password protect backup tapes. As I cannot longer find this option in 12.5 I was wondering if this option no longer exists or I did not managed to find it.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DR0701
Level 5
Hi there

You'll need to look at setting up encryption for this (Page 346 of the Admin Guide).

Doug.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

DR0701
Level 5
Hi there

You'll need to look at setting up encryption for this (Page 346 of the Admin Guide).

Doug.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Password Protection was removed from the product and replaced with Encryption. As the poster said above, check out that information in the Admin Guide for configuring encryption.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Password Protection was removed from the product and replaced with Encryption. As the poster said above, check out that information in the Admin Guide for configuring encryption.

So how does one restore a password protected v11 tape with v12, or is it even possible?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When you catalog the media there is an option to enter in the password.  If the media has already been cataloged there is no need to put in the password again as it's already in the database.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Thanks, Ben

I never used Password Protection, so was wondering

Madalina_Scarle
Level 3
I've played some time ago with encryption, but I forgot to change the compression type (by default is on hardware).
Encryption with software compression works fine!

Madalina_Scarle
Level 3
Do you need to type anything when you catalog the tape?

thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If there is a password on the tape then yes, you will need to type that in.  If there is no password on the tape, no.

If you are using encryption on the tapes then you need to make sure the key has been entered in to BE

Madalina_Scarle
Level 3
now everyhting make sense