cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perform TEST Recovery of Exchange 2010 Database to verify backup copy

Wajeeh
Level 4

Hello All,

I'm looking to perform TEST recovery for exchange 2010 DB, I need to do this excersise in order to check what I am taking backup FULL DB on weekly basis is working as expected in case of any disaster. But I 've no idea how to do this because exchange always works with AD, if in test setup there is no AD how I can make sure all is working as expected.

The most important is to check backed up database state is in working condition after restore, honestly I don't know in order to check this AD is required or not. 

I request community members to assist on this please and help me in checking this. We are using Backup Exec 2012 with SP4 to take full DB backup of our exchange server.

Appreciate help.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...Exchange is dependent on AD...have you checked out MS documentation on how this affects the restorability of Exchange if you try restoring into another domain? This is your point of call in terms of AD integration and requirements for Exchange restores.

BE will restore wherever you point it, but there MIGHT be an issue with a different AD name. As mentioned, check out the MS documentation for the requirements.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

Do you run a VM environment? If so, then it should be easy enough...create a test VLAN and put a DC into that (can be a DC you already backup), and obviously don't connect it to the production LAN.

Once done, you can then restore the Exchange server to this test VLAN and verify that Exchange comes up with no hassles.

Thanks!

Wajeeh
Level 4

Hello,

Yes, we are having our AD and exchange 2010 both in Esxi (VM environment), so you are suggesting:

- Step1: I create a test DC by installing Win 2k8 R2, running dcpromo then what name I give to this test DC ? I mean if I give it a name XYZ while my current working AD name is (ABC) the test exchange is going to work with XYZ (DC). Also on this test DC you want me to restore my actual running DC for having same AD accounts?

- Step2: install another VM with Win 2k8 R2 and install exchange 2010 on it and then restore DB ?

You are advising me as above ? Please correct me if I understood wrong.

CraigV

That is correct, yes...the name of the DC wouldn't matter, just that you have the same DNS name.

As I said though, make sure you don't connect it to the production network. Bear in mind that doing it this way (assuming you're not backing up the VMs through the AVVI agent) you will require an additional RAWS agent for the test Exchange server in order to be license compliant.

Thanks!

Wajeeh
Level 4

No, We are not taking image backup of VM and use only agent of application and DB in exchange 2010 to backup DB.

" just that you have the same DNS name" I didn't get you on this ? 

I can not create a new AD and restore exchange DB in it?

CraigV

...Exchange is dependent on AD...have you checked out MS documentation on how this affects the restorability of Exchange if you try restoring into another domain? This is your point of call in terms of AD integration and requirements for Exchange restores.

BE will restore wherever you point it, but there MIGHT be an issue with a different AD name. As mentioned, check out the MS documentation for the requirements.

Thanks!

Wajeeh
Level 4

Yes, you are right here is my confusion because exchange is dependent on AD. Agree with your suggestion to check document of MS for restore requirements.

I will check and update.

Regards,

Wajeeh
Level 4

Sorry, I still didn't get chance to work on this. thanks,

Wajeeh