cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions for backing up a folder

Duane_Dickhut
Not applicable
I am a newbie to BEWS 9.1 and have taken over an existing installation running
BEWS 9.1 and Windows Server 2003. The existing BEWS backup job backs up a shared area on the server.

My question has to do with the appropriate permssions for a folder to be backed up by BEWS. My boss has asked me to create, on the server, a new folder(say Folder A) in the shared area that is currently backed up, but because of confidentiality, he wants this Folder A to have Administrator permissions removed and his user name added to the permissions so only he can access this folder.

My question is: Will the daily BEWS backup job, which uses a logon account that has Administrator and Domain Administrator permissions, still back up Folder A (by using the SYSTEM permission), or will it not backup Folder A because Administrator permission is removed from Folder A?

Thanks in advance for any help
2 REPLIES 2

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that account which you are uisng for backup/restore should have domain administrator rights.

Regards,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If the Admin and Domain Admin groups have been removed from the ACL for this folder, then No - BackupExec will not be able to backup data in that folder

If the BackupExec service account is a member of the Backup Operators group, you will be able to backup the data, but will still not be able to restore it if needed.

Tell your boss that as the Network/Domain Admin you need rights to ALL company data. If you can't be trusted, then you shouldn't have been put in that positon in the first place.

The only alternative is to have BackupExec connect to this folder as your boss's account, with his password. 'Course he's not gonna want to give you that in the first place, and would need to tell you the new one whenever he changes it.